Chapter 1: Nice to Meet You?

The Start of September....

Hunter's POV:

I've been in the hospital for over a year now trying to treat my brain cancer. You know how hard that is for me? No one knowing your gone and they never remember you again? Well, that's how it is for me! Ever since I came back to school, no one would remember me. They would all look at me in different ways as if I were some messed up nerd. I went to my new locker and put my stuff inside.

I closed the locker door and looked to the side. I saw a girl with sparkling green eyes and beautiful strawberry gold hair. She wore a beautiful blue dress with flowers a the bottom and a little at he top. I've never seen anything like it. I had to say something. She looked new. "Hi. I'm Hunter." I said. The girl looked at me and smiled. "I'm Ashlynn. Nice to meet you Hunter."

She walked off and looked behind. She waved and I blushed happily. She was so beautiful. I couldn't resist. The rest of the day, I have never been more distracted.

At lunch I asked for some peperoni pizza with fries and some fruit punch. Then I got pushed on the floor. Some boy who was in line behind me was just being mean. "Hahaha! Next time stop being such a slow poke!" Steve Waters was the popular boy in Middle School. He would tease anyone he wants, and gets away with it.

"Leave him alone!" Everyone looked behind me and Ashlynn was there. I got up and took a napkin so I could wipe the juice off my sweater. Ashlynn walked toward Steve and looked at him madly. Her eyes were fiery red. Streaks of red and orange were flowing down her hair.

"If you mess with him... you mess with me. Got it?" Ashlynn held Steve's shirt and made a fist. "Okay, okay! Just- woah. What's up with your..." Steve pointed to Ashlynn's hair and stepped back. "Freak! Freak! Everyone, run!" Everyone ran away, but I stayed behind Ashlynn.

Ashlynn's POV:

I was just sitting under a tree eating my lunch, when I sense someone fall to the floor. I looked next to me and see Hunter on the floor with his lunch everywhere. Poor guy.

I left my lunch behind and walked over to a table to hear the conversation. "Move you slow poke. You're holding up the line!" Hunter was still on the floor and couldn't get up. "I'm not slow. You wanna know who's slow? Your mom!" Everyone stepped back and I got mad. Hunter... I guess he was my friend, but I didn't know him that well.

"Look. I don't know what you're trying to pull, but it's not gonna work. And you wanna know why- I'll tell you why!" I interrupted. Hunter turned around and smiled at me, so I winked.

"You are such a hogger and I don't see how girls fall for it! How could you do such a horrible thing to Hunter?! You are a nasty, mean, cold hearted boy. And I don't ever want to see you messing with him- my friends, ever again. Got it? And that goes for everyone eles."

I looked behind me and Hunter was whispering my name. He pointed to his hair and eyes as a sign for me. I looked at my hair, then I already knew, that I was dead. "Oh my god. Guys her hair, her eyes! She's gonna eat us all! Run, it's a freak! Freak!"

Everyone ran and once again... I'm through. Everywhere I go, people call me freak because I get mad. My eyes turn a bloody red. My hair firey red and gold. I can't help myself. My anger is uncontrollable.

I sighed and looked at my shoes. Then I turned around to help Hunter out. "Hey, are you okay?" I ask. Hunter wipes the juice off his sweater and nodded yes. "Meh. Never been better." I tried to smile and ran under my lunch spot. I looked at the sky and saw gray clouds forming. Flashes a lightning split the sky apart. I looked to the side and saw my lunch the way it was before, so I took a bite of my cheese pizza. When I was done, I burried my head in my legs and started singing.

I always sing whenever I'm upset. It makes me feel better about myself.

"Flash of lightning splits the sky. The fire will rise and I just cry. I can't believe I have this life. Oh, and all I do is lie. No matter what, I hope you'll be there. And after all, I was still there, to watch you die. You help me out, but I knew this. I want to be a normal person like you..."

I started crying at the thought of my song. All the songs I sing or write are filled with love. Just firey love. "Nice song." I jumped and looked left. Hunter was there. "You weren't supposed to hear any of it. Its private." I whisper-talk. I got up and threw away my food, then I walked away from Hunter. "C'mon, Ashlynn. It's okay. Your song is safe with me." I stopped and turned around to look at Hunter. I slapped him across the face and cried. "Why are you so mad at me!" he yelled. I took his hand and brought him away from the school.

"I'm not mad at you... I just want you to leave me alone. I'm dangerous, Hunter and I could hurt you. Did you not see my eyes and my hair. I mean, it's still redish gold isn't? And my eyes are probably still red. That's because I'm still a little upset okay. Just... go." I let go of Hunter's hand and pushed back my bang.

"Fine. But I'm not gonna ask why that happened. Can we be friends?" Hunter asked. I looked up and nodded my head. "I don't know. This is our secret for now. Don't tell anyone that I'm dangerous... okay?" Hunter nodded and kissed my forehead. He waved by and walked back to the school. Why did he kiss my forehead?