*Chapter 6*

Sophomore year, and Rowan has found that everything was better, managing to make some friends at her own school. Unfortunately, as her social life improved, everywhere else didn’t.

There were more reports of animal attacks,not as often as before, but still,  Rowan’s father found it hard not to worry.

‘’Hey Dad’’ she said as she sat on her bed, her father sighed before replying ‘’ Hey kiddo’’ his voice sounded very tired, working as a guard during the night shift was exceptionally hard on him. ‘’You should probably call later, during your shift’’ she said, worried ‘’Just sleep now’’ John sighed and agreed, finding it useless to argue with his stubborn child, but hearing her voice gave him some relief at least.

Ending the call, she walked downstairs, thinking about what her father might say to her later. The worst scenario would be her moving to Seattle with him, and she had just started getting used to Forks. Jacob stood against the railing of the stairs, casually looking at his phone, only paying attention to her when she approached.

‘’I called Bella already, we are taking the bus’’ Raising her eyebrows in question, she nodded ‘’ Yeah Jake, thanks a lot, I really like taking the bus’’ she said sarcastically

‘’ Why are we taking the bus?’’ The Reservation school starts late and was very close to their house, so she could not understand why he would be taking the bus.
Jacob smiled and blushed lightly ‘’ It’s Bella’s birthday today, I wanted to give her something. I just finished making it this morning’’ he said as he held out a dreamcatcher, the gift looked so similar to the one he gave her last year,  so Rowan ran upstairs just to make sure.

‘’What was that about?’’ he asked as she descended the stairs. ‘’ Just making sure you’re not giving her what you gave to me’’ she said , grinning to herself. ‘’Oh come on Row, I wouldn’t do that to my favourite niece’’ he said ruffling her hair. ‘’But, I’m your only niece’’ she replied. ‘’I know..’’ she gave him a hard shove, even though she has placed some force behind it, he didn’t even budge.

‘’You know, steroids are bad’’ she said suddenly frowning, in the span of only two months, Jacob has grown. Like really, he grew thicker and buff, and Rowan could not recall ever seeing him workout. ‘’It’s called puberty’’ he replied simply, Jacob found the whole thing weird of course, but who would complain that they suddenly have a deeper voice and a larger build?‘’Well then, where is my muscle?’’ Rowan joked, earning herself a throaty laugh from him.

At the bus station she saw Paul again, this time in a different crowd, she wondered if he ditched his goons for a new one? However, now he seemed calmer and collected, just standing quietly at the corner of the bus stop. Rowan didn’t know how but somehow he sensed their presence, his brown eyes gazed at Jacob first, who seemed a bit uncomfortable. Like Jacob, he grew tremendously buffer. Is there some sort of hidden steroids operations happening in Forks?

After some time, he noticed his gaze moving towards her direction and she prepared for the ridicule that she know she would get. It didn’t happen though, there were no snarky comments that came, only that his gaze seemed to become more intense. Rowan noticed his posture seemed to stiffen, his eyes grew dark, and suddenly his feet moved by its own. She felt nervous as it was obvious that he was heading their way, what kind of drugs did he take now? His other goons looked a bit alarmed.  They walked after him, and one of the boys placed his hand on his chest to stop him. This seemed to enrage Paul, as he forcefully removed the hand in front of him.

Clearly scared now, Rowan was relieved to see the bus arriving, and without hesitation ran inside, though there were people complaining that she didn't wait in line. She didn’t care, Paul looked like he was about to kill her, Jacob followed soon after , confused like her.

‘’What the heck?!’’ The people stare at her in surprise, her loud voice ringing throughout the bus, but soon forgotten her odd behaviour as they turned to their own friends and started talking. Jacob just kept to himself and did not say a single thing during the whole bus ride, and somehow Rowan feels that he know something about this whole thing.

When they arrived at the school’s parking lot, it didn’t take long for them to spot Bella, Rowan grimaced as she witness the whole kissing episode. Stopping only when Edward noticed their presence, moving back, he allowed Bella to meet Jacob.

He wrapped his arms around her tightly, giving her the gift he has made. ‘’Hey Bella, that’s my gift too’’ Rowan said, and Jacob rolled her eyes at her. She wanted to get her something but she forgot, so this will do for now. ‘’I’ll buy you dinner’’ she whispered to Jacob and he nodded.

Rowan noticed that Edward smirked, as if he had heard what she whispered so quietly. ‘’You didn’t have to get me anything’’ Bella said to her, and she smiled sheepishly, maybe her whispers were not as discreet as she thought.

After exchanging words, Jacob left with a simple wave, his eyes sparkling at Bella. Rowan wanted to laugh how obvious everything is but refrained , it’s kind of sad. The whole love triangle reminded her of the teen movies that she forced Seth to watch with her, she always felt bad for the guy who loses. The three of them walked inside, and was greeted by Alice. She talked to the two at first, and Rowan felt a little bit awkward so she wanted to excuse herself.

‘’You can go as well, to the birthday party Rowan’’ Edward offered, and Rowan shook her head. ‘’Nah, it’s a private thing isn’t it? I don’t want to disturb you guys’’ The reminder of staying away from the Cullens resounded in her mind, but they insisted. Rowan noticed how Alice seemed to look at her up and down as she bit her lips

‘’Please, it’s going to be fun’’ she said , holding her hand tightly. ‘’There’s going to burgers there too’’ Edward said,grinning slightly. ‘’Alright, I will go’’ she surrendered, creeped out on how they all stare at her expectedly, she was suddenly feeling warm and lighthearted too, and almost felt that she was obliged to go. With such a feeling , she found it hard to refuse the offer.

‘’Perfect’’ Alice said as she handed her a package after , which she took from Jasper.

Rowan looked at it curiously. ‘’Just wear it before you go please’’ she said and Rowan just nodded, feeling the same warm emotion running through her head. She looked up to see Jasper, who constantly looked in pain, his gaze pointed towards her. Weird.