*Chapter 19*

It was dark and cold. The deafening silence was long gone as Rowan screamed, seeing the same red eyes once again. It was empty and threatening, angry and vengeful. The woman grinned at her, thrilled at the fear that was coursing through her veins. She ran and ran, but it was never enough. Rowan covered her ears as the scream of a man echoed through the forest, it brought more chills to her already trembling body. It was no use, she couldn't outrun her nor could she defend herself. What is she? Who is she?

The woman moved towards her, her pale arms wrapping around her neck. She forcibly bent her neck , her mouth coming dangerously close to her. Rowan fought, frantically trying to cover her neck, but the woman just forced it away.

''Ah!'' she screamed.

Suddenly, everything changed and before her was the familiar boy that she knew. It was still dark and scary but this time , she felt safe and secured. He had brown eyes and the darkest of hair, he cradled her as she cried against him. His arms were wrapped around her, and it felt nice and warm.

His eyes and face were the last thing she saw when she was pulled back from the dream. It was always Paul that brought her back.

Rowan opened her eyes, her throat aching from her cries. It was dark and she panicked, but feeling the softness of her bed below her , she relaxed. Rising into a seating position, she reached over her lamp and turned it on. The sweat were already pooling on her forehead as her heart raced some more.

''Just a nightmare'' she said, turning the light off again. She attempted to sleep, but couldn't, the screams remained on her head. There's several  hours left before she had to go school . 

Rowan was sure her face would look horrible from the lack of sleep that she is getting, people will mistake her as a panda now. The nightmares were not a usual thing, but it haunts her once in a while. Touching the dreamcatcher with her fingers, she closed her eyes tightly, feeling disappointed that it didn't prevent all the bad dreams from coming.

''You look awful'' Jacob joked as he sat himself next to her. '' Bad dreams again Row?'' Billy asked, his eyes focusing on her. She nodded her head, eating some strawberries. ''It will get better'' Jacob said, ruffling her hair. He placed more food on her plate but she didn't have the appetite for it.

''I hope so'' but it was not just the dreams that bothered her, even when she was awake she felt terrified .There was a nagging feeling that Rowan could not understand, Victoria, there was something about her. It is unlike for her to be so fearful of any person really, but the redhead gave her the fright of her life. She made a mental note to convince Bella to let Charlie know, it's the only way for her to feel safer.

Bella drove fast, feeling agitated with Rowan's persistence. ''I told you Bella, it's stupid not to tell the police''.

''Please just drop it, Rowan,'' Bella felt an upcoming headache. Crossing her arms and leaning back on the seat, she replied. ''Fine''

As the truck went by the bus stop, Rowan saw him again.She sighed as she glanced at him with interest, he was laughing and joking with others.Seeing him like this remind Rowan of the present, that everything that happened was done and she is now secured. After the hospital visit, he didn't show himself to her anymore. She wondered why. He seemed so eager when he met her, but now it seemed like he was ignoring her. Drawing her eyes away, she focused on the road before her.

At night time , there was another council meeting, and at this time Rowan was left without excuse.

Our tribe has always been small, but we had something special in our blood. Magic.

Rowan looked around , surprised that everyone seemed to pay attention, their eyes focused solely on her grandfather. They seemed to absorb every little thing that came from his lips, feeling rather chilly, she moved closer to Seth.

Our ancestors were spirit warriors, able to transform themselves in to a powerful wolf. It helped them scare the enemies away and protect our tribe.

She didn't listen at first, just staring at the fire. But when he spoke of the cold one, her attention was captured.

Their skin were cold as ice, their skin hard. They were powerful, their eyes as dark as blood. They looked like an ordinary man, but there were anything but. They can only be completely destroyed by being ripped apart and burned, that is the only way they will not come back.

Billy's eyes landed on his granddaughter, and saw her eye flicker with great emotion. She gripped Seth's arm, and when her eyes rose to meet his, Billy knew she understood or at least starting to.

Rowan remembered the woman and how she fit the description perfectly, but still couldn't let herself believe. They were merely stories to tell the children, surely it wasn't true. She laughed to herself, feeling silly that she would even consider it. There is no way that those creatures exist, no way..

After the long hours of stories, it ended. The elders were the first to stand and eat, Seth waited eagerly for them to finish so that they could follow.

''I'm starving'' she complained as she stretched, feeling sleepy already, ''They're going to finish soon, If you want I could get the food for you'' she pinched his cheeks and smiled. '' Nope, I need to stand or else I would fall asleep''

After the elders, the two walked over the table and saw it was filled with snacks and hotdogs. ''Your favourite''Rowan said as she placed two pieces on his plate, and adding one on her own. Sam and the others lined up after them, patiently waiting for their turn.

''Where's Paul?'' Seth asked. Rowan stopped picking some veggies and listened.

Sam glanced at Rowan briefly, then spoke. ''His father is ill, so he had to stay home'' It was the truth but it was also the fact that Billy's boundaries was still set.

'' That sucks, is Matthew going to be okay?'' Seth asked, feeling worried. Rowan faced them finally, openly showing her interest in their conversation though she didn't say anything.

''I don't know'' A woman emerged and stood next to Sam. She was beautiful but her face was scarred.There were three or more lines on cheeks down to her lips, disfiguring only one side of her face. Rowan looked away as she saw her feel embarrassed.

''It seemed serious , just happened this afternoon '' Sam said, trying to divert Rowan's attention back to him.

''I hope he's going to be okay, poor Paul'' Seth said as he started piling food on his plate again. When the two were making their way to their seats, Rowan pestered him with questions.

''How did you know Paul's father?''

''It's a small town Row'' he replied, filling his mouth with food. After chewing, he turned to her. ''You know, he apologized to me in school'' She raised her eyebrows in surprise. ''Oh?''

"Yeah, he's not that bad anymore, at least to me" he started "Just wish old Billy would let him attend again"

''No, his father was sick right? That's the reason he couldn't come.Why would grandpa even ban him from going?'' She frowned, not knowing the complete truth.

Seth sipped his drink, and she waited for him to elaborate on his story.

''That's a part of it , but also everyone kind of knew that you disliked him a lot. Like a lot lot'' She backed away in defense, now she felt like a bully.

''So he couldn't come because of me?'' she asked and he nodded.

''Maybe. That's what I've heard''

''I don't dislike him, at least not as much anymore'' she defended. ''I'll talk to grandpa about it then''

"Yup you should , I think it's the time that Paul needed help the most" Rowan looked down feeling sympathetic, he must be having a hard time dealing with his father's sickness and her pettiness was the reason he couldn't found comfort with other tribe members.

"Hey, don't worry about it" Seth said , his arm wrapping around her shoulders. "If it can be fixed , then there's nothing to be worried about"

''You're right'' she smiled, leaning against her dear friend.