*Chapter 21*

The constant loud banging of the door has Jacob grumbling under his breath, lazily he went downstairs. It was a Saturday morning, and all he wished was to just relax from all the school work that he had to do. Opening the door with some force, his sleepiness were fast gone as his eyes landed on the culprits. It was Matthew, looking irritated as though it was Jacob that was causing the disturbance. Behind him was Paul who looked extremely embarrassed.

''Can I help you?'' he asked with such a tone that clearly indicated that he was displeased.

''Yeah, where is the girl?'' Matthew's eyes were peeking on the little gap, frowning when he couldn't see anything.

''Which girl are you talking about?''

''The one who was wearing some awful bright orange sweater,'' he laughed for some moments and then continued. ''The one you're with when you visited me''

''Rowan. That's her name'' Jacob crossed his arms, glaring at the two. ''I hope there is a valid reason for you to come by this morning on a weekend Matthew.''

''Of course, I happened to crave the soup that the girl has made'' he shrugged, not seeing a fault in his action.

Paul walked forward, unable to bear it anymore. He grabbed his father's arm in attempt to drag him away. ''Let go of me boy'' the man complained, pushing him away. '' Please, just go'' Jacob said, feeling the tiredness creeping up to him again slowly. He yawned loudly.

''What is all of that noise?'' a faint voice said, and before anyone could even notice her, Paul did. He scratched his head, feeling worried that they have woken her up from all the commotion.

'' I thought you hated women Matthew?'' Jacob asked out of curiosity, ever since Paul's mother has left the two of them, he became so bitter towards women. Even the lovely Sue couldn't get to him.

''Well she's hardly a woman'' feeling insulted, Jacob closed the door on them.

When he went back inside he saw Rowan was sitting on the bottom stairs, rubbing her eyes out. ''Was that Matthew?'' she asked, there's not many people she knew sounded that loud and angry. The voice sounded almost like someone hitting a pan repeatedly, unpleasant and hard on the ears.

''What'' Matthew said when he saw Paul looking upset, he was frowning at him. ''Did I say something wrong?''

''Let's just go''

Before they left however, the door opened, revealing a much annoyed Jacob. He waved them to come in, and after they entered, closed the door again with a loud bang. Rowan had her hair up, and was still in her flamingo pajamas. ''Hi'' Paul said, standing far away from her. ''Where's Billy?''

''My dad had a late night with Charlie, he's still sleeping,'' Jacob answered for her, pursing his lips. ''Okay, so I think we have enough ingredients for the soup,'' she said rising ''I'll teach Paul how to make it'' Rowan thought it was better to teach him so they wouldn't barge in whenever they wish to, and plus it would lessen her guilt with Paul being banned.

It was tough to hold the laughter in, especially since Paul was wearing her pink apron, his features in complete concentration.The contents were slipping out as he mixed harsly. When she came close to help him stir the broth more gently, he jumped back, adding distance between them.

''Relax Paul, I don't have diseases or anything'' she laughed. His eyes widened for some time before returning to his usual calm facade, though his ears were turning bright red. Turning his attention back to the pot, he stirred more gently as advised.

At the dining room area, Matthew sat impatiently. '' Why are you here?'' Jacob asked, sitting across him, eyeing him.

''I told you for the sou-'' Seeing that he was not convinced with his reasoning, he coughed. Straightening in his seat, he spoke again, this time with the truth. '' Fine, I wanted to talk to Billy about Paul'' Rising his eyebrows, Jacob leaned forward.

''About what?'' The older man sighed, his harsh features softening. ''My son, he is missing school. Sometimes he would disappear for several days'' He whispered.

''So? What does it have to do with my dad?''

''Well, Billy is the chief, he knows everything that happens in the tribe'' Jacob did witness some secret meetings that were held with Paul and the others, though he didn't have a single clue on what it was about. Perhaps that was the one he was referring to?

''Well, why not come in the afternoon then?'' he replied grumpily.

''I need to know now.'' Matthew whispered some more, but this time more discreetly. ''And between you and me, I think my son has a thing for the colorful girl''

Suddenly, Jacob felt hot, feeling a mix of disgust and irritation. His statement just confirmed all of his suspicions, and he would die before he let Paul have Rowan. Anyone but Paul.

''It's done!'' she exclaimed, coming into the dining room with spoons and bowls. Paul held the hot pot against him, careful not to drop anything. The tension between Jacob and Matthew was shattered and scattered into pieces.The two withdrew from each other and acted that there were no conversation held between them, though they seemed to not be in the most cheerful of mood.

''It's hot, so be careful'' Rowan scooped carefully from the large pot , smiling in satisfaction on how good it smelled.

''How did you learn to cook?'' Paul asked, his eyes casted down. He didn't want to seem nosy.

She sat down, sighing. ''My mom died so I had to learn, my dad is always busy with his work and eating out was so expensive'' she smiled sadly , then shook her head a few times. Her mood was down for a moment, but not wanting to linger in that zone of emotions, she forced herself to appear happy again.

Paul noticed it, but didn't say anything as the others happily ate. Paul ate most of it, smiling sheepishly as they stare at him with wonder. ''How did you eat all of that?'' He ate six bowls and is still not sat satisfied.

After some moments, some noises could be heard. They all remained still, not knowing what to do. It's now ten in the morning, the usual time for Rowan's grandfather to wake up during the weekends.

''I thought I heard you Matthew'' Billy said, eyeing all of them individually. Paul wanted to defend himself, after all it was his father that was adamant on visiting, but he couldn't as it was what he wanted as well. What if he never learned to control his temper? Would that mean he would never be with Rowan?

Matthew rose from his seat, determined. ''I need to talk to you'' . Billy nodded and signaled for everyone to leave, his eyes lingering on Paul. He didn't understand why he broke their agreement, it disappointed him. Turning his attention back to the older man, he readied himself to talk.

However, the conversation between the two older men didn't last too long. There was a loud smash in the living room that startled and stopped the both of them. Worried, they fled to the scene. Rowan was on the ground, trying to see if Paul was hurt. ''Are you okay?'' her hand was shaking as she saw drops of blood on his shirt.

Paul lay on the ground and wiped the blood that came out of his now cracked lips.Above,Jacob stood, his fist clenching.

''Jake ! are you crazy why did you do that for?'' Rowan asked, feeling confused. ''I--I felt so angry'' he said, feeling afraid of the rising rage within him. His whole body felt hot, and weird. There was something happening to him, but he couldn't explain.

''Jake, are you alright?''Billy tested. Jacob's chest was rising and lowering rapidly, and his eyes looked fierce. He had no doubt that he would be phasing soon. ''I--I need some time alone'' the boy said and fled away.