*Chapter 20*

‘’Why do I have to come with you’’ Jake complained as Rowan forced him outside the door. Billy was staying with Charlie at that time, so it was the best time to sneak out.

‘’Well, you said I can’t be left alone so I’m taking you with me’’ Jake grabbed her right hand and forced her to stop walking.

‘’Where are we going exactly?’’ he asked, crossing his arms. ‘’ and is that soup?’’ The sweet smelling aroma filled his nostrils, and his stomach grumbled again. He had just eaten breakfast, but he felt hungry, lately he has been insatiable.

Rowan nodded, but didn’t make any comment. ‘’Fine, I’ll go with you,’’ he said ‘’ but I have to leave early because I’m meeting with Bella"

The two walked for a while, and since the soup was a bit heavy, Jake took it from Rowan. ‘’Thanks’’ she said, feeling the relief of not carrying the soup anymore.

‘’So are you guys dating now ?’’  Jake flushed in deep red, his eyes darting all over the place. She nudged him as she giggled, feeling merry. ‘’Oh, so you’re all so shy now’’

‘’I don’t want to talk about it Row, it might ruin things’’ he said , scratching his neck. ‘’Okay..’’ she said, not minding the secrecy. She walked, hands behind her back.

‘’I think we are here’’ Jake looked around  and saw a small house . The paint was peeling and the whole place looked unkempt almost abandoned. ‘’Wait, is this the Lahote residence?’’ he  asked. There were some memories attached to this place, he could recall running with Embry and Quil from Paul’s father. He was scary and huge, always seemed to be in a bad mood.

When they approached the house, they noticed that the door was left ajar. ‘’Should we knock or ring the doorbell?’’ It was so quiet, she wondered if anyone was even at home.

‘’Are you crazy?’’ he said pulling her away, ‘’Do you know how scary Paul’s father could be?’’ She wanted to laugh at how scared he looked, his eyes were wide and his mouth was open. ‘’How bad could it be?’’

‘’Can you all shut up! I’m trying to sleep here !’’ a booming voice said from the upstairs window. The two jumped back at the sudden noise. Were they that loud?

‘’Maybe it’s a bad time to visit’’ she said, slowly walking away from the place.

‘’Hey is that food you have!’’ the voice demanded and when the both of them raised their heads to look, a man was there looking down at them. His forehead was against the top of the window signifying his tall frame. Rowan looped her arm with Jacob, her eyes never leaving the mysterious man. Maybe they should just drop the soup and run.

‘’Can you hear me!’’ he yelled more loudly, and it pierced both of their ears.

‘’Ye--yess’’ Jake said, his voice slightly shaky. ‘’So, is that food!?’’

‘’Yes’’ they both replied in unison.

The man beckoned for them to enter the house, which they obediently did so. ‘’I can’t believe I’m in here’’ Jake said, looking around at the living room. The wall was unclean, and the floor needs some vacuuming. It reminded him of the time her sisters left them , it was hard to maintain the house with them being two boys. It was great that Rowan came and helped around the house.

‘’Are you in now?’’ the voice said, but this time quieter.

‘’Yes’’ she answered as she took the food from Jake. He glared at her and she shrugged. ‘’I want to be in his good side, besides I’m the one who cooked this soup’’