*Chapter 38*

Paul and Rowan was on their way back to their rented apartment, both in good moods as another semester has finished for Rowan , meaning they could spend more time with each other. While Rowan was going to school, Paul has been working as a mechanic full time. "I'll cancel my shift tomorrow," Paul smiled and pinched her cheeks lightly. "What do you want to do ?" It has been the most quiet months for both of them, finding a perfect balance for their relationship. It took some work and time for Rowan to convince Paul to do more things for himself, it didn't feel quite right when it seems that his whole life revolves around her, she wanted to be as devoted to him as he is to her.

Rowan intertwined her hands with Paul's, smiling to herself as he squeezed her fingers gently. "We could see the movie that you wanted to see" she said. "Are you sure?" he asked, his eyes blinking at her, "but you don't like action movies". It was not just because it was an action movie but there was a lot of gore as well, she didn't like those very much. "You like it so we are going to watch it" Paul didn't like the thought of her doing something she disliked, but he overcame his hesitation when he remembered her forcing him to watch a chick flick movie. The key is to compromise.

"Okay" As they were close to their apartment, there were two figures all familiar to both of them. Jake stood idly as Renesmee played around the small playground outside of the building ,all of them were already aware of each other presence except for Rowan who didn't have their superior sight and hearing. Renesmee giggled as she ran towards the two, leaving Jake behind her. "Row!" her arms were out and reaching. Rowan had to crouch so that they were closer in height, the child gave her a sweet embrace. "I miss you and Jake misses you very much too , he just doesn't say it" Rowan laughed knowing that all of it were true, Jake walked over to where they were and waved.

"Paul is keeping you all to himself," he teased "We had to intervene". Renesmee nodded enthusiastically, walking back to Jake and standing next to him. "Mom says hi" Bella has been eternally grateful for Rowan and Paul's help, even making an effort to help them move to Washington. "How did you manage to convince Bella to bring Renesmee here?" Rowan asked, "Rosalie will kill you" The blonde vampire was too attached and protective of the child, seeing her as her own. She often fought with Jake, it was all amusing really, them battling it out for Renesmee's affections. "Well..." Jake smiled mischievously "She doesn't have to know"

"Good luck with that," Rowan mused "Alice will know sooner or later"

"Alice can't see anything if I'm the one with Renesmee," Jake was smart enough to figure it out and used it to his advantage. "She--" Jake stopped, finally remembering the reason he had travelled all the way to Washington."We need Paul" Renesmee said, telling only what she has heard from the others when Jake was at lost with words. "Why do you need Paul?" Rowan asked, seeing how quickly Jake's brows furrowed and the smile leaving his lips. They were outnumbered and they need Paul's skill in fighting so he could train the newly shifted, they would not have asked if it wasn't so necessary.

Paul's hands found its way to her waist, holding her still. He could hear her panic, her heart beating frantically. When the night came and Jake and Renesmee left so that they could give Rowan and Paul time. "We're supposed to watch a movie," she said, turning her back as she sat on the edge of the couch. "Rowan" his voice was low and serious. "I can't ask you to stay because it's selfish, but I don't want you to get hurt"

"I won't get hurt"

"I thought your cockiness would be gone by now," she said, irritated at his confidence. "But I know you want to be with the pack. You want to fight next to them, and as a good mate, I have to listen to what you want" She gripped the pillow next to her. She then remembered Renesmee and how precious she was to Jake, Paul wanted to go without sparing a single second to think. "So when are we going?" Paul pulled her against his chest, kissing her temples. "Jake did give us until tomorrow," he said. "We have the night to spend". They didn't sleep that night at all, watching movies all night, curled up next to each other.

The next morning, they were all packed and ready to go. Paul insisted that she has to stay, but soon gave up when he was sure that nothing he says can change her mind. When they finally arrived, late into the afternoon, Paul went straight away to work. There were a handful of new members needing training as the others in the pack were busy with plans, Paul was grateful to see them again, even if the situation wasn't the best. Great troubles after all, is what brings family together. Alice was gone, leaving the rest of the Cullens the task of gathering witnesses. They didn't have much time, the Volturi were too prepared to end the Cullens.

The witnesses that came were not all like the Cullens, they fed on humans.Noah came back one day, he seemed happier as he found a mate of his own. "I didn't know you were this clingy" he joked. When he saw Paul and Rowan together, her hands were all over him, clinging to him like he would disappear. Most of the time , she was the one that initiate contact. "I am not clingy"

Noah imitated her, tweaking his voice to a more feminine tone. "Paul! Want to have lunch together?" he was making all this weird gestures with his fingers , she felt sick just looking at him. It looked icky. "Whatever" . When Paul came back to her, she thought of what Noah has said and stopped herself. What did Paul Lahote do to her? She thought. But she learned that she didn't care, she loved him and liked proving it to him. Noah made gagging noises as she stuck her tongue at him. "Paul! Let's have lunch together. Just you and me?"

************************************
I think there's one more chapter before it all ends, thanks for reading :)