5. Past Failures and Meeting Boromir.

Third person's point of view.

Gandalf and Elrond watch Frodo and Sam from the balcony in Elrond's study. The pair having been on their way there when they saw Ayrn and Aragorn race by, "His strength returns." Elrond comments, "That wound will never fully heal. He will carry it the rest of his life." Gandalf said sadly, "And yet to have come so far, still bearing the Ring, the hobbit has shown extraordinary resilience to its evil." Elrond noticed, "It is a burden he should never have had to bear. We can ask no more of Frodo."

Gandalf argues back lightly, "Gandalf, the enemy is moving. Sauron's forces are massing in the east — his eye is fixed on Rivendell. And Saruman you tell me has betrayed us. Our list of allies grows thin." Elrond says stopping Gandalf as they were walking, "His treachery runs deeper than you know. By foul craft Saruman has crossed Orcs with goblin-men, he's breeding an army in the caverns of Isengard. An army that can move in sunlight and cover great distance at speed. Saruman is coming for the Ring."

"This evil cannot be concealed by the power of the Elves. We do not have the strength to fight both Mordor and Isengard!" Elrond said roughly, Gandalf moves away, deep in thought. "Gandalf, the Ring cannot stay here." Elrond insisted firmly, Gandalf stands at Elrond's window, looks out and sees a group of new arrivals in the garden. A man, an Elf and companions, and a party of Dwarves all dismount and stare around in wonder. "This peril belongs to all Middle-Earth. They must decide now how to end it." Elrond said to Gandalf who stands watch,

"The time of the Elves is over — my people are leaving these shores. Who will you look to when we've gone? The Dwarves? They hide in their mountains seeking riches — they care nothing for the troubles of others. The Shapeshifters are down to numbers I can count on my hand." Elrond says holding up his hand, "It is in Men that we must place our hope." Gandalf said surely, "Men? Men are weak." Elrond says with a scoff while wandering through his house as Gandalf follows. 

It is a beautiful house, full of wooden panelling and ancient statues and artifacts. "The race of Men is failing. The blood of Númenor is all but spent, its pride and dignity forgotten. It is because of Men the Ring survives. I was there Gandalf. I was there three thousand years ago..." Elrond flashes back to Isildur slicing the Ring off Sauron's hand and holding up the Ring. "... when Isildur took the Ring. I was there the day the strength of Men failed."

***

Elrond and Isildur stand on the slopes of Mount Doom. The volcano roars and gushes fire above them. "Isildur — hurry. Follow me." Elrond calls to the prone prince, 

"I led Isildur into the heart of Mount Doom, where the Ring was forged, the one place it could be destroyed."

Elrond stands near the cracks of Doom, on the same spot where Sauron first held up the One Ring in triumph. "Cast it into the fire!" Elrond shouts over the roaring lava, Isildur looks at the Ring in his hand. The Ring whispers to him. "Destroy it!" Elrond roars, Isildur barely speaks above a whisper but Elrond could hear and what he heard made his stomach drop, "No." and then even worse Isildur walks away. "Isildur!" Elrond shouts after the Man. 

"It should've ended that day, but evil was allowed to endure."

***

"Isildur kept the Ring. The line of kings is broken. There is no strength left in the world of Men. They're scattered, divided, leaderless." Elrond says looking down in disappointment, "There is one who could unite them, one who could reclaim the throne of Gondor." Gandalf hints, but Elrond knows exactly who Gandalf is talking about, "He turned from that path long time ago. He has chosen exile." Gandalf smirks, "Maybe, but I know there is someone who will want to restore the balance that broke all those years ago." Elrond's head snapped up,