vii ⇝ CAMPFIRES

campfires / i don't, and i will never, believe in ghosts.

⇝⇜Tokoyami had definitely felt fairly busy the past week, whether his girlfriend was taking to him to do something new or not

⇝⇜
Tokoyami had definitely felt fairly busy the past week, whether his girlfriend was taking to him to do something new or not. He was always prepared to leave the UA campus grounds, no matter the time of day. He was almost expecting her to interrupt his class and drag him out of school, Aizawa not even able to stop her.

Iwasaki had told him that today they would be participating in a relaxing activity, but they still found themselves caught up in a blur of screaming laughter and swatting of mosquitos.

Why Neito Monoma chose to have a bonfire on a Thursday afternoon, no one had any clue. They had just gone along with the invites to his family home, where a big empty field was situated, knowing that the quirk-copying boy had always been out of his mind.

All of Class 2B were invited, of course. They had penetrated through to the center of Monoma's heart since their first days at the hero school, and he wasn't afraid to admit his love for the nineteen other students. He had told everyone they could bring any other friends they desired, so long as they would not wreak havoc on his parents' property (irony).

The sun was setting when Kimora and Fumikage arrived, the former's glare shutting up the blonde boy whom had opened his mouth to berate the Class 2A student. Although a bonfire was not an activity specifically for Halloween, the crowd still had the spirit of ghouls and goblins seeping from their pores.

It happened to hype Kimora up immensely.

"Iwasaki, hey bitch!" A familiar voice called out. The purple-haired hero in training looked up to her close friend jogging towards them, waving his hand in the air excitedly. "Wassup, Tokoyami?"

"Awase, hi," Kimora threw a smirk his way as Fumikage opted to simply nod silently. "What's on your head?"

"Oh, it's a bandana with bats, pumpkins, and candy corn on it," he explained, before scratching at his scalp sheepishly. "I bought it for you but then I remembered you don't wear bandanas. Wore it for you though."

"You'd pull it off better anyways," she huffed, looking at the fabric jealously.

"I think you'd look hot in a bandana," Tokoyami mumbled, to which she blushed and jabbed his side playfully.

"Shut up!" She shifted on her feet, following Yosetsu as they guided the two towards the blazing inferno. "Anyways, where's Kodai?"

"She couldn't make it. Vlad said she had to stay behind after she nearly bombed the last quiz. It's a miracle he even let all of us out past curfew."

"You told me you got the same grade as her," Fumikage raised a (birdish) eyebrow. Awase did the same, looking at her expectantly.

"Did you ask Vlad for permission to leave the dorms?"

"Uh, no?" Kimora chuckled nervously. "My bad. Let's not worry about that at the moment."

Her two boys agreed silently, and so the three walked casually over to the flames that reached towards the stars in the sky. Everybody was chatting among themselves happily, shouts and laughs filling the air.

"Guys, come on over!" Itsuka Kendo greeted them. They accepted with ease, setting themselves down on empty lawn chairs and joining in on the conversations. Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu conversed with Juzo Honenuki about the accomplishment of some new rescue hero, which Awase joined in on happily.

Iwasaki simply focused on keeping herself warm, realizing how foolish she was to not wear a coat. She had dressed herself in a pair of jean shorts (that went to the knee), with an orange long sleeved shirt that hung off her shoulders (the black straps of her bra were very visible, but no one cared).

At first the cold was no problem for Kimora, but then night fell and a freeze she was not accustomed to began to cling to her bones. Luckily the fire kept her frontside warm, but her backside was left exposed to the darkness and left her skin numb.

"Jester," she heard Fumikage mumble. She glanced to him curiously, her lip quirking upwards in confusion.

"Fumi?"

"It was foolish of you to not bring some form of protection from the cold."

"I was just thinking that," she huffed. "I guess I'll be a jester tonight and you can be king."

"You'll always be a queen, darling," he assured her in a deep romantic tone. She blushed lightly as he swung an arm dramatically across her shoulders, shielding them from the biting and bitter air. She moved her elbow to jab his exposed ribs, but it fell short as she instead leaned against him.

"Iwasaki, tell us something creepy!" A voice from across the fire shouted, one that the mentioned recognized  as Setsuna Tokage. All 20+ heads snapped in Kimora's direction, and she looked back at them blankly.

"Guys, just because Halloween is my favorite day of the year doesn't mean I just have scary things to share," she grumbled. Only the crackle of the fire could be heard, a translucent orange shining over the crowd's faces. "That was a joke. Okay, so—"

Kimora wasn't the best at telling stories by any means. She talked as if she was reading from a textbook, but at least the tall tales she had memorized were intriguing enough to keep her audience's attention. The spirit began to spread throughout everybody, and other people started sharing their own stories that would keep them up as children.

Time passed as did the food around the campfire and soon it was 1 AM. Monoma's dad traveled out to the group sleepily, handing out a cellphone to Class B's representative.

"Yes, sir, sorry to worry you. No, we promise not to complain in class tomorrow about being too tired. Yes, they're listening to you and I promise they'll listen to me," Kendo spoke through the phone to an anxious Vlad King. "We're on our way back, sir, see you soon."

She kept the phone to her ear until their teacher hung up, before handing it back to Neito's father with a thankful nod. Everyone sighed in defeat, getting ready to pack it in for the night.

A shout from Awase brought everyone's hopes up, catching a glimpse of the shooting star he had been gesturing towards. They all smiled, making a quick and personal wish, each unique but all of them full of well wishes.

"What'd you ask for?" Tokoyami questioned as they walked towards the driveway, hand in hand. Kimora smiled lightly, eyes drowsy and looking to a place that was not yet there.

"The future."

⇝⇜
press f to pay respects