Chapter 11

(NPOV) The days went on since I sent a letter to Kankuro. Days turned into weeks, then months. In my heart I knew he wouldn't forgive me, but I couldn't live with myself without telling him I was sorry.

I walked next to Sakura on our way home from a morning shift together at the hospital. The autumn air was sweet with the smell of cinnamon as we walked through town. It was harvest season, and the shops around us were busy making seasonal treats, and décor.

"I hope Sauske comes home for the holidays." She said as she looked up at the sky.

"I wouldn't depend in it." I said honestly. Her face twisted into a frown and she glanced at me sideways.

"So negative all the time." She rolled her eyes.

I smiled at her, because she wasn't entirely wrong. I had been a bit bitter since summer, when Kankuro left.

"I'm sorry." I lied. I didn't care for the man enough to care what she thought.

"Right," she said looking over at the Tea shop, half listening to me.

"Do you want to join Ino and me for some tea and girl time?" she asked smiling big.

I glanced at Ino waving at us from inside the coffee shop. "Thanks, but I'm just going to go home for the day." I declined her offer.

She stopped walking at looked me in the eye, placing one hand on my shoulder.

"I understand you have had a hard time these last few months," She said quietly. "But eventually you need to get out of your house, and start seeing your friends again. This time I'll let you go, but next time you should really take me up on the offer girl."

I nodded in agreement, and turned around quickly making my way home. I passed the town famous ramen shop, as I smiled at Naruto.

"Hey Naomi, I feel like I haven't seen you in ages?" he laughed as he stood up and pulled me into a hug inside the shop. "Come on over, and have some food." He offered as he pulled me to the counter. "It's on me tonight."

I turned my gaze to Shino and Kiba sitting there as well. "No thank you Naruto." I said as I gripped my books to my chest tightly. He scratched his head confused, and then followed my gaze to Kiba.

He turned back, with understanding eyes, he wasn't the smartest ninja in town, but he wasn't all that stupid either. It didn't take long before everyone and their mother knew about my late night hook up with Kiba.

"Come on Naomi, girls gotta eat." Kiba said winking at me.

"Cut it out Kiba." Shino sipped at his beer.

Kiba folded his arms over his chest in protest, leaning back a bit.

"Fine, whatever." He said in a huff, looking at me one more time. He smiled at me again with devilish eyes, which only made me want to punch him even more.

I bowed, despite my feelings. "Goodbye." I said before rushing outside, and back to my home.

Shikamaru noticed me walking, and made his way over. "Can I walk you home?" he offered. I nodded silently, as we walked side by side down the street.

"Is something on your mind?" he asked placing his hands in his pockets.

"Oh, no I'm fine." I didn't really feel fine though. Work had been slow, I hadn't been on a mission in a while, and kankuro was still on my mind.

"If you say so," he said looking ahead of us. "I have a feeling I know what you're thinking about."

"Oh do you?" I laughed at his sideways smile.

"Yeah, and I know how to fix it." We stopped at my house and stood there. "I'm leaving in a couple of days, for a mission to the sand village."

My eyes widened with surprise, I knew where he was going with this. He pulled a small scroll out of his pocket, and handed it to me.

"I've requested you on my mission, I think you know why." He smiled down at me sincerely.

"Are you sure?!" I said franticly. "You must be crazy." I rubbed my face with my hand.

"I'm positive." He laughed again at my red face. "I think you need this." He hugged me tightly. "Be ready before sunrise." I nodded as he walked away.

I knew that Kakashi gave him the mission so he could see Temari, which was cool I guess, but why did he have to drag me along? I sat down on the edge of my bed, as I unrolled my scroll.

*Shikiamaru, Choji, and Naomi.

You are to report to the Hidden Sand Village to

Assist in their annual Pre exams.

Shikamaru will be teaching a few courses,

While Choji will go as back up.

Naomi is to tag along for her medical uses, and to

Help assist Shikamaru after the final exams,

Seeing that kids tend to hurt themselves during training.

The tests will take you a minimum of 6 days.

I expect to be seeing you back in about 12 days.

Good luck, Kakashi.*

I flopped back on my bed dramatically. It was going to be an interesting trip for sure.