c13

Going to soccer games had now become a normal thing for Ki.

Every Thursday night she was waiting for 6:30 to roll around so she could leave the house and go sit at the school and watch—of all things—soccer.

She would go alone sometimes.

Acacia didn't like the cold, and as the weather cooled down with the start of October, she started becoming more and more hesitant to come.

Still, every single time she would sit in the front row and watch the game carefully, trying to understand what had happened so she could talk about the game later with Lyra.

It was always at the fence.

After each game.

Lyra skipped the team bonding at the end and came running towards the fence where Ki would be standing there grinning saying something along the lines of:

"Did you see that?"

"You kicked her ass!"

Or

"That was so close!"

"How did you do that?"

Lyra loved it every single time.

She always stayed modest, but Ki wanted to brag about her. Lyra Meclane was an amazing soccer player.

"So do you think you guys are going to finals or whatever?" Ki found herself beaming one especially cold night.

"I mean it's only been four games, but maybe! I hope so... that means my mom would actually come to that game." Lyra shrugged a little.

"What do you mean? She doesn't come to these?"

"Nah. More important things going on... and it's not cheerleading. It's soccer, it's hands on, people get hurt, and I'm not supposed to be interested in sports. I'm supposed to be interested in cooking and cleaning and meeting men's wishes, but I think it's all bullshit." She waved her hand off a little as she summed up her rant.

"That is bullshit. You are fucking amazing just like this! She should come see you!"

"Like I said before Ki... more important things going on... she's got a lot on her plate. And I don't blame her." She sounded softer this time, as if she was reminding herself of her place. "I uh... I should probably go get changed."

"Oh." Ki now knew she had crossed a line. "Okay."

Lyra gave a faint smile as she turned around to walk back to get her water bottle. Ki was internally beating the sides of her brain as she walked away.

But then she stopped.

And Ki watched her, confused.

She turned around and bit her lip.

"Do you... uh... would you ever... uh... you know what, nevermind."

"What?" Ki mumbled confused.

"I'll text you later." She smiled hesitantly. "Bye Ki."

"Bye... Lyra."

————————

lyra 💫
do you ever watch the stars?

delivered:
all the time

read.

lyra 💫
what's your favorite constellation?

delivered:
hard one. probably cassiopeia

read.

lyra 💫
I love how that sounds. cassiopeia...