Chapter - 38 (Past 2)

Nishi"

he named me, which resonated in my ears for many times. I fell in love that name at the first hearing. But, why this name for me?

"Why? "

"Because, you are like the darkness of the night, who holds secrets and pain brilliantly but shows hope like the twilight". 

I liked his description about the name so, I instantly agreed to be called as Nishi.

"What about you? don't you give me a nickname? "

"Surya was really a nice name,  why do you want another name? "

"Of course my name was really great, but I thought it was so formal to be called by my girlfriend. "

My heartbeat rised to peak upon hearing the words 'my girlfriend'. I seriously tried to stop the spread of blush on my face, smile on my lips.

I replied, "Oh" to get away the awkwardness.

We walked slowly, not to leave each other's company. But, the destiny was was not so far to reach. We bade bye to each other. I went to my room thinking about the events of today. I wish everyday would be like this.

Days were in my favor. Everything about Surya was making me happy. He was paying attention to me as it was his job. Fighting with me was the least thing he will ever do. I am slowly opening up myself with him. I  am very happy in his presence even if he doesn't do anything to impress me. 

The Interschool competition was announced, in which our school participates and wins every year most of the sports and cultural activities. Cricket was everyone's favorite. After that, Dance competition occupies more eyes, though there were many other events like, debate, essay writing, poem writing, drawing etcetera.

Surya was the captain of our school's Cricket team. He was practicing for the competition as it was his main goal of his life. I prayed for him to win since he deserved to be winning because of his hard practice.

I am not at all participating in any competition. Surya asked me many times, to participate in any writing or drawing events. But, I refused because of lack of interest.

The competition occurs for five days. Everyday, I went to play ground, which was not at all my cup of tea, to encourage Surya. He was very happy to find me there.

Today was the 4th day. Our school cricket team won the semi-finals and reached finals which are on the next day. But, the finals was with 'St. George School team' which was very tough to deal with.

After the match, Surya dragged me to a class room, where drawing competition was to be held. I was flabbergasted.

He said, "Are you happy that I am in finals? "
I am confused with his words but answered, "Yes".

He smiled as if he was expecting the same answer. I am certain that there was something cooking in his brain.

"I too want to be happy, so can you do something for me if I ask?"

I frowned but nodded my head in yes.

His lips curled upwards in a beautiful way and said, "I already gave your name for the drawing contest, just go and get the prize for me."

I was panicked with this, "No!! I am not going "

He pouted, "Haven't you said, you will do anything for my happiness? "

He was tricking me.

"Try to understand Surya, I draw for my own happiness but not for the prizes or praises. "

"Ohh you are good at framing words in wonderful way, I should have given your name in writing contests also", he said, planning to ruin my peaceful days.

I whined. But he showed no mercy.

"You have so much talent in painting Nishi, why to hide that. I want you to overcome your fears. I will there with you na, don't worry about winning. Just go and do your best. I will stay here in the audience podium . Now smile and go there, pass your time with your favorite hobby. "

Though I am not really convinced, I can't disappoint him. I went to the place which was alotted for me. The sketches, Charts and pencils everything were already there. I looked at him narrowing my eyes. He looked at me knowingly and shrugged his shoulders as it was nothing. I was amused with his confidence to convince me.

I thought for a while what to draw. Bright colors are not my kind. I looked at others, who were busy in creating their portraits. I am worried, what will happen if I don't win it. That thought alone was causing me so much stress. I lost the track of time in my thoughts. A bell rang indicating, half the time remained or consumed. But, I was with the blank charts, unsharpened pencils, unopened sketches and unused brain to draw.

I looked at Surya with my turmoil. He smiled at me reassuring, showing thumbs up trying to create hope in me. I can't let him down. I started drawing.

Soon, the contest time was over. Everybody handed over their hard work. Surya was waving at me to show his existence in the crowd. I went to him and looked at him with annoyance.

"What happened? Why are you looking at me like that? "

"It was all because of you, I got so much tensed up. What will happen if I won't get the prize? "

"Nothing will happen" he said nonchalantly.

"What" I could not contain the anxiousness.

"Ha, Nothing will happen if you don't get it, I just wanted you to participate in it, though it was a huge task." he said, smiling, no laughing.

I was irritated now and sat in the near by bench away from him. He also followed me.

"Results were going to be announced in a few minutes. So all the participants are requested to come inside the classroom "  came from the sound boxes. We both went inside, though I am sensing that my name was definitely not going to be announced for any place.

First they announced the third place, Reema, from 'Little lotus School' who painted an elephant near by a lake playing with water. It was really beautiful. I lost all my spirits now, for not getting even the third place. Next the second place was for Suresh, form 'St. George Shool', who painted about global warming. I thought I will be over expecting for the second place.

Finally the first place. I am now completely relaxed because my name was not at all going to be announced. I turned to Surya, "So, shall we leave? "

He looked at me, as I was having horns. Before I argue with him, I heard my name. I jerked in my place with the sudden realization, but I was immobile.

"We are calling again, the first prize winner, Miss Anuhyadharmavachini to come on to the stage to receive the prize. "

Surya was tapping my shoulder to bring me back from the shock. I stared at him in disbelief. His eyes were twinkling with happiness.

I went to receive my prize. The chief guest and the judges appreciated me for my skills. I thanked them in low voice by keeping my head low.

Mr. Raman, the chief guest said, "Keep your head straight, you are not looser, You are the winner. "

He might don't know how much his words filled confidence in me. I looked at the audience who were clapping for me. I am feeling loosen up myself. I am feeling better for myself. They showed everyone my drawing, which illustrates, a girl hidden in a guy in the pencil lines with dark background. The two people appear only at an angle otherwise it will be a person who was mourning in sadness.

The picture here was just for reference but not the exact one.

To be continued.........

Want to know what happened next.....wait for my next update. If you like the story, vote for me. Comment your opinions .