Love

"But I love him. I don't think I could learn to live without him again," I mumbled. Keegan sighed and removed his hands from the counter-top. There were scratches carved into the stone.

"I don't understand what you see in that boy. I mean you're a pretty cool chick, I'm kind of surprised you don't like Anton more," he said in what I thought was an attempt to lighten the mood. I shrugged and replied, "I tried. He was pretty cool for an hour or two, but then I realized that he didn't have soul and that soulless beings can't love." Keegan watched me speak and his eyes softened minutely.

"Sure we can," he said, his voice softer than velvet. "We can love quite well." His eyes fell to the counter and I gazed at his long eye lashes and his perfect cheek bones. He really was beautiful.

"You sound like you're speaking from experience," I said warily. He glanced at me with narrowed eyes and crossed his arms over his chest.

"I might be. I guess you'll never know," he responded vaguely. He was definitely speaking from personal experience and I was seriously wondering what this cold-blooded killer could have ever loved. He looked down at the floor and a crease appeared in his brow.

"You might want to cover your ears," he said randomly. I glanced at him in confusion and Phoebe asked, "Why?" He put his hands in his pockets and suddenly the air was filled with Zane's cry. I clapped my hands over my ears and tried to block out the emotional and physical pain that scream was causing me. It was like he had tried to swallow it down, he had tried to stay quiet, but the pain was too much and he just had to...

I grabbed Keegan by the wrist and began pulling him out of the kitchen and towards the front door.

"Where we going, Lor?" he asked and I could hear the smile in his voice. I glanced at him and his smile disappeared as he saw the tears glistening in my eyes.

"We're going out," I said and my voice broke. "Pheebs, lock up for me, 'kay! And make sure no one can hear him!" I shouted over my shoulder and I opened the door without her answer, pulling Keegan along with me.

It was dark outside, at least nine o' clock, and I was pulling Keegan towards his car. He jerked me to a stop and I spun around to glare at him. His face was like stone and it caught me off guard.

"What are you prepared to do?" he asked me, his eyes glimmering in the darkness like a nocturnal animal's. I stared at him and gripped his wrist tighter because it was the only thing that was keeping me on my feet.

"I'm prepared to do anything I'm physically capable of," I whispered through gritted teeth. He smiled and we continued towards his car.

"That's what I like to hear," he said opening the passenger door for me. I slid into the soft leather seat and set my hands in my lap. Keegan climbed into the car next to me and shut us in the dark.

I would go along with anything Keegan said if he told me it would help lessen Zane's (or Anton's) pain. I didn't even care if it was illegal or if I got thrown in prison, or if I was stuck with Anton for the rest of my life. I just wanted to eradicate that pain. Keegan started the car and we sped out of the driveway.