SEVEN: "My Fault."

'What?!' Alicia exclaims.

'We've launched an investigation but we're keeping it on the D.L until we know more.' Jay tells her. 'Voight is inside talking to Boden. We think you'll be able to help.'

'How will I be able to help?' Alicia asks. 'Will and I haven't been close for over ten years. I barely know who his friends are, I don't know how many people he's pissed off.'

'Voight will explain.' Jay tells her.

'Jay-' Alicia starts but she interrupted.

'Halstead.' They hear Matt shout. Alicia turns around to face him. 'Chief would like to see you in his office.'

'I'll be right in.' Alicia nods.

'Jay, Voight would like you in there too.' Matt adds. He then walks back into the firehouse and Alicia turn back around to face Jay.

'Let's go.' Alicia sighs. They both walk into the firehouse and into Boden's office. They sit down with Boden and Voight. Voight and Jay explain what's going on and given the circumstances, Boden gives Alicia the rest of the shift and the next few shifts off. Alicia walks through to the locker room and grabs her bag out of her locker. Sylvie walks in.

‘Hey, is everything okay?’ She asks her.

‘Yeah.’ Alicia nods, closing her locker. ‘I’ll explain later.’ She then walks away.

.

About half an hour later, Alicia, Voight and Jay arrive at the district.

‘We got a hit on those fingerprints. Matthew Walker.’ Hailey says. She stands up and pins a couple of pictures on the board. Alicia puts her hands on her hips and walks closer to the board.

‘You son of a bitch.’ She whispers.

‘You know this guy?’ Adam asks her.

‘Yeah.’ Alicia nods. ‘It’s someone I used to run with and my boyfriend at the time. He was like the alpha male of the gang I was part of. He called all the shots, he told us what to do, where to go.’

‘He’s the reason she almost died.’ Jay adds. Alicia shoots a glare at Jay. ‘It’s true.’

‘What’s he talking about?’ Voight asks Alicia.

‘We went to a rave, my boyfriend, some friends and myself, and an electrical fault sparked a fire. As I was trying to get out, I broke my leg. My boyfriend and friends looked back but never helped me. They left me there.’ Alicia explains. ‘Let’s just leave it at that.’

‘Do you have any idea of where he could be? Any old hangouts?’ Voight questions.

‘It’s been over ten years.’ Alicia shakes his head. ‘We haven’t talked since then. But I do remember a place in Garfield Park we used to go to. It was a condemned house back then. I’m not sure if it’s still standing, though.’

‘Then let’s take a ride and find out.’ Voight says. ‘You can ride with me. Let’s go!’

.

Whilst Voight drives, Alicia looks around for the house. They are followed by Jay and Hailey, then Adam and Kevin and then Antonio and Kim.

‘Anywhere look familiar?’ Voight queries.

‘No.’ Alicia shakes her head. After a few more minutes of driving, Alicia’s eyes widen. ‘Here on the left.’ Voight pulls over and everyone follows suit. They get out of their cars and stand around Alicia and Voight. ‘We used to come to this house. Looks like it is still condemned.’

‘Let’s go take a look.’ Voight nods. He then hands Alicia a pair of gloves. ‘Wear these in case you touch anything and if you do, take pictures first.’ Alicia nods, takes the gloves and puts them on. They all walk up to the door of the house and see fresh pry marks.

‘Door’s been pried open recently.’ Kevin points out. He pushes the door and it creaks open.

‘Chicago Police Department!’ Voight shouts. He then turns back to face everyone. ‘Spread out. Alicia, you’re with me.’ Alicia nods and walks off with Voight. After about ten minutes of looking around in complete silence. ‘Jay’s never spoke about what went on in your teen years. Whenever he’s asked, by Adam in particular, he’ll say something like, “have you got a crush on my sister?” or something like that. He’ll never answer the question.’

‘It’s not something we talk about.’ Alicia replies. ‘Not to anyone.’ She then notices something on the floor. She crouches down, takes a picture and picks it up.

‘What you got?’ Voight questions. Alicia stands back up and turns around. Voight sees that it’s a tray with a syringe, a spoon, a lighter and a rubber tourniquet on. ‘Ah.’ He grabs an evidence bag out of his pocket whilst Alicia picks up the spoon.

‘He was here.’ Alicia states.

‘How’d you guess?’

‘It’s his spoon. It’s got his initials on it.’ Alicia replies. She then examines the spoon more closely. ‘And going by the burn marks on the spoon, he used today.’ She puts the tray and the contents into the evidence bag. Whilst she looks around the next room, Voight seals the bag and notes down what’s in the bag and where it was found. Alicia spots something glistening in the corner of the room. She walks over to it. ‘Voight!’ She shouts. A minute later, Voight joins her.

‘What is it?’ He asks. Alicia has what she found in her hands. Voight sees that Alicia’s eyes are starting to fill with tears. ‘Alicia?’

‘It’s his ID badge.’ Alicia hands over Will’s hospital ID badge. ‘It’s good blood on it. Fresh and dried.’ Voight takes it at looks at her. ‘Excuse me.’ She walks out of the room and then out of the house. Once she’s out of the house, she rips the gloves off and breaks down crying. After a couple of moments, she composes herself and sits on the kerb. She gets her phone out of her pocket, she doesn’t realise that Jay is standing behind her.

‘You’re not calling him, are you?’ He asks, making her jump. She turns her head around. ‘Alicia-‘ Jay starts, sitting next to her. ‘If you call him you could blow the entire investigation up.’

‘I wasn’t going to call him.’ Alicia shakes her head. ‘I was going to call my therapist and my sponsor.’

‘You’re scared you might start using again?’

‘Who knows?’ Alicia laughs, shrugging her shoulder. ‘The first time I started using was when mom was diagnosed with cancer.’ Jay pulls her in for a hug and she rests her head on his shoulder.

‘It’s going to be okay. We’re going to find him.’ He comforts her. ‘Come on. Voight told me to take you home.’

.

A few hours later, Alicia is sat in her apartment drinking a bottle of beer. On the coffee table there are quite a few empty ones. Jack walks in and sees Alicia slumped on the sofa.

‘Alicia?’ Alicia looks back at him.

‘Hey.’ She sighs.

‘Er- what are you doing?’ He asks, seeing the empty bottles on the coffee table.

‘Drinking.’ She responds.

‘Yeah, I can see that.’ Jack replies. ‘But why?’ He then hears some pans clatter. ‘Who else is here?’

‘Jay.’ She tells him. ‘He’s cooking dinner.’

‘Alicia, is everything okay?’ Jack questions, walking around to her and sitting next to her.

‘Will is missing.’ Alicia tells him. ‘And it’s all my fault.’