Seven

Chapter's song: Thomas Rhett - Die A H appy Man

The semidarkness of the room combined with the smell of incense were starting to make feel at ease. Absentmindedly, I traced my finger on the carved elephant as Amanda finished a phone call. My eyes roamed all over her office, to the elephant statue to the large paneled window that overlooked the park where I first talked to Nathan. My stomach churned uneasily at the mere thought of him. Boy, I'm screwed up. However, the spicy scent, the warmness in the room and the steamy tea pot on the corner gave it all a sort of homey feeling. It felt more like visiting a friend than actual therapy. It was a nice change.

Amanda finished her call and placed a small plate filled with buttery treats in the middle of the table. "I hope you like green tea" She smiled while she poured the tea in a bright yellow mug. Her smile didn't falter as she added nonchalantly, "your father called me." 

Of course he did. 

My heart clenched. I shifted on my seat uncomfortably. Ignoring my awkwardness, she eyed me softly. "He seemed concerned".

Could he think that I might want to hurt myself once again? That feeling of guilt and shame washed over me. Of course he did. I had done it once and I could very well do it again, right?

Sighing, I followed her every move as she served the second cup of tea. "I'm fine." I hated how worried he always seemed to be over me. And I knew that there was no one but me to blame about it.

"Are you?" she placed the mug in front of me as she raised an eyebrow.

My shoulders slumped as my eyes followed the delicate pattern that the steam was drawing over the mug. My brows creased as I murmured, "he's dating Marie." Amanda took a sip of her tea as I gazed at her. She wasn't surprised or alarmed as I expected her to. Her eyes were steady as she stared back at me. "But you already knew that, right?"

Her lips set on a straight line. "Yes. Your father called me last week. He was worried about your reaction and wanted to let me know in advance." How thoughtful of him, I sourly thought. She grabbed the plate of cookies and took one, before placing it closer to me on the table. "Want to talk about it?" she asked before bringing the small cookie to her mouth.

No. 

My eyes turned to the large window once again. Resentment burst from within me. I obviously disapproved it. It felt like Dad was being reckless, like he was replacing Mom. It angered me to see him with another woman so soon. And her best friend, nonetheless. Of course he was worried at my reaction. I was shocked and completely outraged at the whole situation. It felt unfair that I was sitting on the therapist's office when it was clear that he needed therapy as well.

Silence reigned over the room as I glared outside. My eyes turned to the clock next to the incense and I grimaced as less than fifteen minutes had passed. Time seemed to be passing too slowly.