Fourteen

Raindrops rolled down my cheek. My breathing was coming out in pants as I pushed myself harder. My legs were cramping and my feet were tired. I needed that. I wanted to feel the natural kick I always felt after jogging. Pushing myself harder always made me feel better. I wanted to feel better. I was tired of being angry or sad. Or both.

Sleep hadn't been easy last night. Nathan's words were etched in my mind. I knew he said that because he was furious at me; they just hurt deeper because they were true. We both knew that.

When I felt like my legs couldn't go any further, I slowed the pace and walked home. The light rain tapped against my skin but it felt refreshing after all the exercise. Dad was still asleep as I closed the main door and stepped inside the kitchen. I made him coffee before climbing upstairs to take a shower.

After getting dressed with a pair of light denim jeans, a coral tank top and a see-through beige sweater, I walked to the kitchen for breakfast. Dad was already up and sipping his coffee, while reading the newspaper on his tablet.

"Hey kiddo, how are you?" his blue eyes watched me concerned. He'd been worried after I told him about Marissa's little outburst at school.

"I'm fine." Ignoring his worried eyes, I took out a bowl, pouring cereal and milk. As usual, I wasn't really hungry. Still, I needed to eat something. For Dad's sake, at least.

"Did you sleep at all?" his hands were encasing the coffee mug as he gazed at me. I shook my head. There was no point in denying the dark circles under my eyes. "I'm going to talk to White about all of this." His eyes clouded for a moment, "Do you want to stay home today?"

"No." I played with my spoon while looking at my bowl, "I don't care about Marissa."

"That girl will have to suffer some serious consequences after her stunt."

"Dad." His blue eyes stared at me. "I really don't care about her."

Dad's forehead formed an irregular line as he cupped his chin, "What's going on then?"

My lips were pressed as I left the spoon hanging on the edge of the bowl. "It's," I cringed for a moment, "it's about Nathan."

His eyes narrowed. "What about him?" His whole stance tensed.

"He's mad at me." I frowned. I don't even know why.

"Was he disrespectful to you?"

I gestured him to stop by raising a palm. "No. He's angry because he has this thing for Tom and I kind of stood up for him."

Dad's lips tugged up on a small smile. His shoulders relaxed and he started up his tablet once again. "Could he be more obvious?"

Frowning, I stared at him, "What do you mean?"