Seventeen

The fine lines blurred creating a shadow as I passed my hand over them. I loved how easy it was to create different shapes and textures by using graphite pencils. Dad had bought me a new set after we had dinner yesterday and I had been drawing most of the morning.

Pausing for a moment, I pulled back to see my drawing. For some strange reason, I started to draw a horse running. It was still half done since I'd began with the background, different blurred lines in the shapes of trees.

"Honey? Someone's at the door for you?" Dad's head peeked over the doorframe.

My heart flipped. "Who?" Is it a grey-eyed boy?

Dad's blue eyes sparkled mischievously as his lips tugged up, "A girl." Ugh. He scrunched his nose thinking it over. "Farah?"

"Oh! She's my best-friend! Remember I told you about her?"

He nodded, "What have you been up to all morning, by the way?"

I showed him my drawing pad. Already closed. I was very protective of my drawings and I would never show them to anyone incomplete. Sometimes not even finished.

He smiled sincerely. "I'm glad you liked the pencils. Hopefully, you'll show me your drawings to me?"

I passed next to him, "only if it's good, Dad."

"I'm sure it is!" he shouted as I opened the front door for my best friend.

"Hey!" She looked pretty in green army cargos and a white top. Her wavy blonde hair was loose and cascading over her shoulders.

"Hi! Come in." She grinned and passed beside me hitching her glasses. "What's up?"

She shrugged, "I was bored back at home and I kind of wanted to see why you haven't answered any of my calls or texts."

Frowning, I led the way to the kitchen, "I didn't hear anything." Opening the fridge, I offered her a bottle of water. She gladly took it and immediately opened it and gulfed it down.

"Did you walk?" She had almost finished it before she paused to nod.

"I really don't know how you enjoy running!" she wiped a sweaty trail over her forehead with the back of her palm.

"It's calming." I leaned on the counter as she sat on one of the stools.

She finished her water. I offered another bottle but she declined, "Do you want to hang out today?"

I blinked at her, "Did you walk all the way from your house to ask me that?"

She smiled radiantly, "Well, it's not just us hanging out!"