Twenty-Four

I was stranded in a parallel universe immersed in darkness. I could hear murmurs but I couldn't understand them. As if I was underwater.

My whole body hurt.

I strained my ears to understand something, anything. My eyelids felt heavy but I mustered all the force I had into the sole action of opening them. They fluttered for a fraction of a second but they were too heavy and I was too fragile to keep trying.

I didn't want to die.

There was so much more that I wanted to do. The first person that popped into my head was Nathan. I wanted to be with him. I wanted to know what it felt like to wake up next to him, to be loved by him. To spend Christmas Eve in his arms. To play in the snow. To watch a baseball game. To pig out on fries and marshmallows.

I love you, Nate.

It was frustrating wanting to wake up but my body felt sort of numb.

I thought about Dad. I wanted to see him happy.

I even wanted to give the damn speech. Anything, at this point.

A heavy lump pressed my chest. It hurt. "Nate," I was barely able to open my mouth but his name slurred. It hurt, too.

My voice was different, though; my mouth was too dry and my tone had been too raspy.

"Oh my God," another sharp pain burst from within me. "Finally," A trembling voice whispered relived beside me. "You are fine, Cassie." My ears ached as the voice was stronger. I could hear a monitor on my right. Slowly, my whole body started to come alive. Boy, it hurt like a bitch.

Especially my head. "Ow" a soft whimper left my lips.

"I know, honey." Softness laced in every word, "but I'm glad you're back with us Cassie."

My eyes fluttered open and I had to close them again. Even the freaking light hurt my eyes. I recognized the voice, "Marie?"

"I'm here, honey." Something rustled as I imagined her pressing different buttons at the same time. I opened my mouth again to ask for Dad and Nate, but a warm hand touched my arm. "Don't talk yet, sweetie. I've already called a nurse and she's going to bring you some ice. Your Dad went home to take a shower and Nathan is just down the hall."

At the mere sound of his name, my heart clenched and it started to beat faster. The annoying monitor's beeping was proof of it. Marie added softly, "I sent him to get something to eat. The poor boy hasn't left your side."

The door opened. Squinting my eyes because of the light, I willed them open. A brunette with a blue uniform walked inside carrying a bottle of water and a tray filled with ice chips. Marie thanked her and placed one chip on my lips. I tried to raise my hand but it was in a cast and it hurt too.