Twenty-one

Bright light made me close my eyes tighter. I stretched and a light blanket fell to the floor. Rubbing my eyes, I sat on the couch. "Good morning, sunshine!" Dad greeted me from the kitchen's door. A steaming coffee on his hands.

"Hey" my voice was raspy. "Did you have fun last night?"

He smiled. "I did. You should come next time." No thanks.

I smiled apologetically. He rolled his eyes. "So, what are you doing today, sweetie?"

My face beamed at him, "Nate's picking me up at noon."

"Big date, huh?" Dad's eyes sparkled teasingly.

Shrugging, I pulled the blanket Dad had placed over me, "What time is it?"

"Ten," he smiled slyly.

Oh shit! The butterflies in my stomach started to flutter crazily. "I need to hurry up," I chirped in nervously.

Dad nodded, completely amused. "I need to research for my new paper. I'll be in the studio, okay? Come say goodbye before you leave!"

"Yeah, Dad." Of course. As if I'd leave without saying good bye. Parents,

As if he knew exactly what I was thinking, Dad's blue eyes narrowed as I passed next to him.

The next two hours passed quickly as I took a shower and chose my outfit. For the first time since Mom passed away, I paid extra-attention to my clothes. I didn't want to look like every day; but at the same time, I wanted to look different. At the end, I chose dark jeans, a white tank top and a washed denim shirt on top. I braided my hair and decided to wear a bit of makeup. But not too much.

Nate's car parked in front of my house at exactly noon. My lips tugged up as I peeked over the living room's window. I ran to Dad's studio and kissed him good-bye. He was going to tease me again but I left before any sound left his mouth. I did hear him laughing as I stepped down the stairs.

Grabbing a jacket before walking out, I reached Nathan as he was climbing up the front porch. His eyes lit as a smile drew on his face. He was looking good. He had a dark grey Henley t-shirt and washed jeans. It was such a simple outfit, yet he looked great.

"Hi" I bit my lip as he leaned to me. He cupped my cheek as a dainty spiced fragrance reached my nostrils. My arms instinctively shot to him as he pressed his soft lips on mine.

"You look great" he murmured a moment later as his eyes checked me out.

I shoved him playfully as we stepped down to his car, "you don't look so bad yourself."

His lopsided smile appeared as he opened the door for me. I looked behind our seat as he walked around the car to find a large camping backpack. "We're going to have a picnic," I voiced excitedly as he was starting the car.