Thirteen

My cereal was all mushy. Sighing, I moved my spoon around a bit disgusted at it. A moment later, I stared pointedly at my father who was pretty much ignoring me behind his tablet reading his newspaper. "Dad?" I'd been asking him the same question three times already and I knew that he was playing dumb.

The twitching lips and the small smile on his face was evident proof of it.

"Sorry. What?" his blue eyes sparkled mischievously as I crossed my arms completely peeved at him.

"What did you think about Nathan?"

He shrugged and resumed scrolling on his tablet. "He's nice."

Utterly annoyed, I took a deep breath, trying not to snap at him. "That's it?"

"Yup."

"Could you elaborate?"

"Why?" his blue eyes gazed at me mischievously. "Because you like him?"

My shoulders sagged and I fought the urge to roll my eyes. "You know? It's not even important." I huffed as I took my bowl to the sink feeling a little bad for wasting food.

Dad chuckled before taking a bite off his bagel. "Are you going to Amanda's?" I nodded. "Maybe I can pick you up and take you there. I have a meeting tonight and I'm afraid you'll have to eat dinner by yourself. Well, that is if your boyfriend is not driving you."

"He's not my boyfriend." I shook my head completely discouraged.

"Yet." He smirked. "Take care honey" he smiled as I took the stairs to brush my teeth.

The walk to school seemed pretty short since I started to jog. It didn't take me more than ten minutes to get there. I saw Farah's van on the other side of the parking lot and I waited for her at the entrance. My peers passed next to me glancing from time to time. Ignoring them, I took out my cellphone and started to scroll down through the news.

"Hey" a girly voice said in front of me.

"Farah, you take forever." I looked up to found Anne tilting her head watching me curiously.

"Farah is the new girl, right?" I nodded before glancing across the parking lot. Farah had stopped to greet her boyfriend. That was why she was taking forever. Figures.

"She seems nice." Anne trailed with a sad smile on her face.

"She is." I paused for a moment before adding hesitantly, "you could hang out with us in recess or something." Anne's green eyes widened for a fraction of a second. "So you get to know her." I shrugged.

"Ok." She answered rather reluctantly.

I smiled reassuringly, "great." It did work since her lips tugged up on a small smile.