Sixteen

Sleep seemed to be a luxury these days. It was scarce. I just couldn't stop thinking about Nathan. At all. I kept replaying his kiss over and over.

Every time I did, I felt butterflies on the pit of my stomach.

Tiredness enveloped me. I was just exhausted to go out running on the morning. I had barely slept a couple of hours when Dad woke me up a bit startled at the fact that I'd slept in.

"Honey, you have twenty minutes to get ready! I'm sorry for waking you up this late but I thought you were out running." His brows were creased as I blinked at him.

Shit. Twenty minutes! Rubbing my eyes, I got up and started to run all around my room trying to get ready as fast as I could. I washed my face before putting on faded jeans and a red tank top. My old converse were lying on the floor and I laced them up before walking downstairs.

Dad was waiting for me with a brown paper bag on his hands and a peach on the other. "Eat up, I'll drive you today, ok?"

I nodded thankfully grabbing the peach. After eating it, I brushed my hair and put it up on a messy bun while Dad drove to school. Luckily, we reached it a couple of minutes later than what I usually did.

"Thanks, Dad!" I pecked him on the cheek before hitching my backpack over my shoulder.

"Love you!" he added waving at me.

A few months ago, I would had been totally embarrassed by that, but I didn't care who had heard him or not, I waved back at him as his car drove away.

It was Friday already and everyone was sizzling and talking about Tom's party. As I reached my locker, I saw Farah chatting with Anne. They were both really pretty. One was blonde and had baby blue eyes and this sort of cute-geek outfit, while the other one was red-haired and was wearing something much more hip-hop. They smiled as I came closer to them.

"Hey guys!"

Farah's blue eyes watched me concerned for a moment, "Gosh. Did you sleep at all?"

"Why?" I opened my locker to change my books.

"You look like crap." She stated sincerely. "No offense," she added sheepishly.

I grimaced, "I didn't bring any makeup to school!"

Anne snorted, "don't worry, I've got loads if it." We walked towards her locker, who happened to be next to the girl's bathroom. Anne took out a quite large bag from her locker and placed it on the sink while they looked for things that could work out with my skin tone. She gave me some concealer and I applied loads of it. Trying to look more presentable, I also put on some blush and gloss.

They both studied me for a moment, before Anne blurted out, "you look ten times better, Cassie."

Warily, I glanced at my reflection on the mirror. I did look different.