Twenty-Six

The little embroidered crystals shone as the dress moved. My eyes roamed across the length of the dress following the intricate design. It was such a beautiful dress.

A sincere smile played on my lips as my eyes locked with Marie's. Her brown eyes shone excitedly as she grinned back. My eyes turned to the flower bouquet by the window; I walked to it and softly brushed one of the white rose's petals.

Absentmindedly, I watched as the guests were gathering and milling around in the garden. Large flower arrangements were strategically set to form an aisle. Searching through the crowd, I spotted Dad talking to Nate. They were both looking great but my heart soared for Nathan.

He was wearing a grey Armani suit. We'd bought it together. A small white flower was pinned on his jacket. A silver tie complemented the elegant suit. His hair was longer. It was messily arranged giving him an out-of-bed hairstyle.

An instant smile formed on my lips as I looked at him. He was smiling and I was sure he was joking around with my father.

Things had changed so much. Nate was kind of a son to Dad. They trusted each other. And well, that had been key for when we moved to New York together. Dad wasn't truly keen on the idea but he trusted Nate. He just made him promise that he wasn't going to be a Grandfather soon. He even started the bees and flowers talk completely embarrassing myself; thankfully, Marie had been there and intervened. Talk about an awkward moment.

I rolled my eyes as Dad laughed at something that Nate said. A wide smile formed on my lips. Excitement and happiness ran through me as I glanced at the beautiful ring on my hand, it sparkled and changed colors with the light.

"You look great," Marie said softly as she walked to me. Her eyes glanced at the window as well. I smiled and was about to complement her when someone sauntered through the door. "What are you guys doing? The groom is not supposed to see the bride!" Farah interjected from the door.

We both turned her way. It had been a while since I'd seen her and I missed her terribly. She had lost the thick glasses and was now wearing contact lenses. Her blonde hair was long and wavy and had a small orchid pinning one of the sides. A short beige dress accentuated her curves. She looked great.

"Farah!" I reached out for her, "when did you arrive?"

"Just now!" she chirped in. She had moved to California to go to Berkley. We'd last seen each other almost a year ago.

She kissed Marie on the cheek, too before turning my way. Her blue eyes shone excited as she grabbed my arm "Did I hear all right? Are you tying the knot?"

I giggled like a little girl and showed her my engagement ring. Her eyes sparkled excitedly as she held my hand. "Wow. That is one big rock!"

I smiled at her. A grey haired woman peeked through the door. "It's time for the bride to come downstairs!"