Nineteen

Fall was starting to show. The leaves had started to change colors and the cold wind started to pick up. I held my grey coat tighter as my cheeks were flushed from the cold morning air. The school's parking lot was already on sight as my feet continued to move on their own. Nervously, I hitched my backpack. I'd worked on my English essay all Sunday long. Today was the deadline.

I wrote it thinking about everything I'd learned over the weekend.

I shared my side of the story. How I'd felt and what I had done. I also talked about all my regrets and how I now knew that it had affected my father.

My feelings had poured down in a couple of sheet papers.

I reached the parking lot and a small smile drew on my face as I saw Nate rubbing his hands waiting for me on the front stairs. He had a grey beanie, white t-shirt and a dark denim jacket on top. His eyes lightened up as I approached him. We hadn't met yesterday since he'd given me time to finish the essay. We had talked on the phone endlessly at night. And I really wanted to see him.

"Hey," I shyly greeted him.

His lopsided smile appeared, "Hi. Ready to hand over the essay?" he asked as he grabbed my hand in his. Butterflies erupted in my stomach as I nodded.

Before we walked in school, he passed his arms around me and kissed me softly. "It will be all right."

"I know," I pecked him one more time before we walked through the hallways.

A lot of people did a double take as we passed.

Nate's hold tightened as we passed by the jocks and I tried not to look but from the corner of my eyes I saw Sean nudge Tom. I didn't care what anyone thought about me or Nathan. Especially Tom.

Farah was waiting for me at my locker. We'd had a long conversation over the phone. She had squealed and screamed like a little girl before. Still, her blue eyes sparkled mischievously as we reached her. "Well, well, well," she teased me. Glaring at her for a moment, I opened my locker to change my books. "You better take care of her, Rivers." She added in her most serious tone pointing at Nate.

That made me grin. It was kind of cute how she'd wanted to be the protective best-friend.

Nate's lips twitched as he tried to suppress a smile. "I intend to, blondie." He sounded confident but I could still see wariness in his eyes. My stomach churned.

Come on Nate. Have more faith in the both of us.

"Hey! Watch out Rivers! Only I can call her blondie!" Chris chirped out from behind.

Farah rolled her eyes, "No one calls me blondie! I'm Farah, dumbass!"

"Yeah, but I'm your dumbass." Chris smirked at his girlfriend.