Ten

The usual rush of energy filled my body as I finished jogging. I wondered if that's what Nathan felt like when fighting and I kind of wanted to slap myself because I just wanted to stop thinking about him.

Dad kept teasing me over breakfast but kept quiet when I told him that I'd bumped into Lucy yesterday. Sadness engulfed him and I knew exactly what he was feeling, because I felt the same.

Silently, we finished breakfast and got ready for our respective day. As we stepped out of the house, I reached him and hugged him tight. Swallowing hard, I pulled apart to find a teary smile drawn on his face. I wished him a good day before kissing him on the cheek and ambling down the street.

The usual milling and chatting from my fellow classmates surrounded me as soon as I crossed the street in front of the school. Everyone had stopped to greet me all the time, only a few people nodded my way from time to time. I actually felt relieved about it. I wasn't sporting that fake smile anymore and I guess that without it I had lost popularity or something. Which was great.

Hitching my backpack over my shoulder, I walked through the hallway to my locker to get my books for the day. My steps faltered when I found myself in front of Anne, who was about to bypass me. I didn't know if I should say hi or something.

Her green eyes didn't glare at me as they usually did. She nodded and stepped by me as I stood rooted to my place. Nodding was an improvement, I guess.

After the first classes, my backpack was getting heavier, so I stepped to my locker to leave some books there. Farah was next to me as I finished switching the books from my backpack to my locker and vice versa. "So, how was the ride home?" her blue eyes sparkled mischievously. Groaning, I closed my locker and decided to ignore her. "Did he try to swoon you away?"

Rolling my eyes, I fastened my pace. "OMG! Did he try to make a move or something?" she gasped with wide eyes.

"Chris is walking behind us." I said matter-of-factly. Farah obviously stopped and turned around beaming. My lips twitched as a smile played on my lips. He wasn't.

She slapped me playfully on the arm. "That's mean, you know?"

I raised an eyebrow, "Stop teasing me."

Farah rolled her eyes as she pushed her glasses up. She had a blue short-sleeved hoodie that brought out her eyes over a white tank top. A few blonde bangs framed her face making her look cute. Grinning, I complemented her, "you look cute, by the way."

She beamed. "Thanks! You need to show me how to braid my hair like that!" she referred to the messily fishtail that I had done in my hair since I didn't want to have it all over my face all day. "Sure," I shrugged.

"And by the way, your lover boy is coming this way," she wriggled her eyebrows as I looked around us searching for Nathan. He wasn't anywhere around.