Twenty

My hands held the tray tightly as I waited for my turn to pay. It had a tuna sandwich and a fruit salad. My lips tugged up as I thought of Nate scrutinizing my every day lunch. He wanted to make me fat, apparently. He made me ditch my granola bars and pretty much forced me to eat every day for the last week. Today, taking advantage that we were out early, I took the initiative to buy my own lunch before he bought it for me.

He never let me paid. It was really sweet, to be honest. But I kind of felt like a free-loader.

Someone brushed against my rear making me jump one step in front of the line. My fruit salad dropped to the floor and I could only hold the sandwich in the tray.

Uneasiness filled me. I had a good idea who was behind it.

Swallowing hard, I turned around to see the culprit. Light brown fringe to the side and a muscly boy. I glared at him as he innocently smiled at me.

Yeah. Innocent my ass.

He had been bumping into me, literally, for the last few days. At first, it seemed accidental, but every time it happened, some part of his body brushed against mine. My arm, my rear, one time my chest. It was getting on my nerves.

"Would you stop it?" I glowered at him.

Tom's lips formed a sly smile as he raised both palms defensively. "What? Sean pushed me!" His friends snickered.

The cashier called me over to pay. Flustered, I took my fruit salad that had been in a closed container and paid for it. I could feel his burning stare following my every move.

My heart was racing and my jaw was clenched. Before I walked away, I turned to him. "I thought you were different, Tom." I never knew you were such an ass.

His brown eyes blazed, "Yeah? Ditto." His jaw was clenched and his hands were clasped in tight fists.

What's that supposed to mean?

With a heavy heart I reached Farah and Anne who were chatting on our usual spot. They both quieted down when I sat beside them. My brows were still furrowed and my heart was still bumping furiously.

"Cass?" Farah ventured to ask.

I hadn't told anyone about it. First, because every time he did it, it seemed like an accident. I'd been brushing it off as such. But it kept happening every single day.

"It's nothing." It probably was. I was just on the edge when it came to Tom.

Farah tilted her head, "Are you sure?"

"Yeah," I opened my now fruit puree. My eyes looked up and Tom was smirking at me. I glared at him for a moment before taking a spoonful of mashed fruit. I wasn't going to let him get to me.