Chapter Seven

Without saying anything, Nicole and Eleanor quickly walked past me. “I don’t like her.” I heard Anna say from the pool. ‘Well, quite frankly, Anna, I don’t think she likes you either.’ I thought. I waited a few minutes before going back inside, so I was sure I wouldn’t run back into Eleanor and Nicole. So much for keeping my depression from everyone. Or at least the fact that I take medicine. Yeah, Mom, everything will be fine. I rolled my eyes as my Mom’s words ran back through my head. ‘You will go. You will have fun. You were accepted to go on this trip, it’s a big honor! You were more than excited when you found out a year ago! So you’re going. You shouldn’t let your condition hold you back.’ I just loved how she called it a condition. It’s a sickness, I’m depressed, not in a body cast. Being fully aware that I’m depressed doesn’t make it any easier, doesn’t make me want to take my medicine so I can get better. Some days I just want to crawl in a hole and rot. But, of course, my Mom made sure that Hallie, Jacob, and Marie know about my depression, and chances are I’m being watched 24/7. 

It was 1:45pm before the girls came back up. I didn’t say anything as they got dressed and put on a bit of makeup. They probably figured I was in the room the whole time they were at the pool. But I wasn’t, and Nicole and Eleanor knew that. Would they tell them? I didn’t have much time to think on before Hallie came and got us to go get a late lunch and then go to the KCA’s arena. 

The boys didn’t have lunch with us, it was only us five girls and Hallie and Jacob. After eating, or well after everyone else ate, we all headed for the arena around 3pm. “You guys know what you’re supposed to do. Have fun!” Jacob said when we all got out of the van. “So you got Niall?” Em asked as we all walked to the entrance of the arena. I nodded. “Sarah got Harry, Laura got Liam, Anna got Louis, and Emma got Zayn,” she said. I nodded again. She finally gave me an annoyed look and ran to catch up with Sarah. I knew if I acted like I wasn’t interested in conversation, she would leave. Before we even stepped in the front entrance, I could hear What Makes You Beautiful ringing through the arena. No one was singing though. “I can’t hear it in my monitors!” Liam shouted into his microphone. All the other girls made a beeline for the doors into the stage area, but I slowed my pace to where Hallie and Jacob both passed me. “Here, keep this necklace on.” Jacob said turning around and handing me a pass. I nodded and put it around my neck, along with my camera. “Remember, don’t take to many pictures, but get enough that they’ll add up to two hundred and fifty at the end of next month!” Hallie said as we walked into the pitch black arena. 

“WE CAN’T SEE!!” Louis yelled. “Stay still, so you don’t walk off the—-” before, who I thought was Paul, even finished talking, I heard a ‘ummmff’ and the lights flicked back on. “Where did Ni… Niall fell off the stage!!” Harry said standing on the edge of it and looking at the floor. All the workers in arena turned and looked at them. “I’m OK!!” Niall screamed getting off the floor. “I told you to stay still!” Paul said walking over to him. “I had already moved when you said that,” he said as he climbed back onto the stage. “Back in places! Start the music!” Paul said to someone above our heads. The room went dark again, but not completely, and then the stage lit up with the outline of the boys’ bodies. All the girls sat up front, watching the rehearsals, occasionally snapping pictures. I stayed in the back, not even bothering to take pictures. After a few runs of the song, they finally said to take a break, and all the girls ran to the stage to get some pictures. “I was thinking of getting a quote, but I’m not..” I turned in my seat to see Nicole and Eleanor walking down the isle. Nicole saw me and glanced sideways at Eleanor. “They still think you didn’t hear, don’t they?” She asked. I stared at her for a second, then nodded. She shook her head and sat down in the seat behind me. “We’re all going out tonight, the boys and us, you should come…. Only you,” she said. “Hey, babe!!” Harry screamed running up the isle towards us. “You in?” she asked as she stood up. She was still looking at me when Harry grabbed her around the waist. “What’s up?” He asked looking at both of us. “I invited her to come out with us tonight,” she said. “Sounds great! You gonna come?” He asked me. 

Nicole had defended me at the pool and now she was inviting just me to go out with her and the others. I would probably seem really hateful and rude if I said no. I kinda wanted to go anyways. “Sure.” I said as someone plopped down beside me. I turned my head to see Niall sitting in the seat beside me, smiling. “Hi,” he said.