Chapter Twenty Three

“What time is your ‘curfew’ again?” Niall asked doing air quotes.

“Why the air quotes?” I asked digging in my bag for my phone that had beeped while we were eating.

“Marie acts like she’s your Mom or something, giving rules and curfews and crap,” he said with an irritated tone.

“Yeah, I know. Curfew is at eight thirty,” I said giving up on finding my phone in my giant bag of junk.

“So we’ve about an hour and twenty minutes left before we have to go back,” he said, sounding disappointed, which I felt.

“So what do you wanna do till then?” I asked.

“You know we don’t have to wait till your curfew? We can go back whenever you want,” he said as we rounded the corner of the street.

“I think I can wait a bit longer to be locked up in a hotel room,” I said.

“It’s not like you stay in there, anyways,” he said grinning.

“And that stays between us,” I said.

“Mhmm, I bet Emma knows,” he said.

“Nope. Well she’s knows I go out, but not where to,” I said.

“Let’s go to the park,” Niall said crossing the street.

“It’s almost dark, we’re not gonna be able to see anything,” I said running to catch up to him.

“There’s a moon!” He said turning down the street.

“Okay then,” I said to myself as I followed him.

“Do you even know where it is? Or if there is one?” I asked 20 minutes later as I followed Niall down another street.

“Nope,” he said turning another corner.

“Well that’s good,” I said.

“Well, we didn’t find a park,” he said.

“What?” I asked walking around the corner to see what he was talking about.

“Wanna go for a swim?” He asked.

“Not really,” I said looking across the beach.

The sun was minutes from being swallowed up by the ocean and very few people were now on the beach, one reason being it had already cooled down out.

I hadn’t been to the beach in years. My Dad never had much time off work, and I wouldn’t go without him whenever my Mom asked if she wanted just me and her to go. I last went when I was 12, first time my Dad had gotten a long enough vacation in about 3 years. That was the last vacation we had.

“Come on,” Niall said stepping into the sand.

“You’re not really going swimming are you?” I asked, following him.

“I might,” he said jokingly, though I wouldn’t doubt he actually would.

I stumbled along behind him in the sand until he finally stopped.

“What are you doing?” I asked walking up beside him.

“I wonder if it’s cold,” he said looking at me.

“Probably,” I said nodding.

“Wanna go see?” He asked smiling.

“No,” I said laughing.

“Fine, stay here,” he said bending down to pull off his shoes.

“What? Are you really going to swim?” I asked.