Chapter Eighteen

“I’m not coming in there,” I said crossing my arms. 

“Come on! They’re not gonna hurt you,” Niall said from inside the pin with the Kangaroos.

I shook my head. Niall had freaked out when he was told he could go inside the pin with the Kangaroos and feed them. I was a bit afraid of them so I stayed outside, watching him. He held out his hand to one of the Kangaroos and it ate the food from his hand. He looked back at me, smiling. “Please?” He asked. I shook my head again. “Why are you scared?” He asked coming out of the pin. 

“Cause they might attack me,” I said and he laughed. 

“Yes.. they’re like baby dinosaurs,” he said. 

I smirked at him and he grinned. 

“Come, on, they’re not gonna do anything. I promise. And if they do, I’ll let you punch me,” he said. 

“I’m not gonna punch you,” I said. 

“You won’t have to, since they’re not gonna do anything,” he said pulling me towards the gate. “I don’t wanna go in,” I said digging my heels into the ground, but he was stronger and he continued to pull me. “Just let one of them eat out of your hand, and then I’ll let you come back out,” he said opening the gate and pulling me inside. “Open your hand,” he said. He gave me some of the food to feed them and made me walk over to the one he had been feeding. “Hold out your hand to her,” he said pulling me by my elbow. 

“It’ll bite me,” I said dropping my hand to my side. 

“No, it won’t, just hold your hand out,” he said, laughing. I shook my head.

“You’re very stubborn,” he said.

I made a face at him as the Kangaroo came closer to us. Niall reached out and grabbed my hand, pulling me forward, towards the Kangaroo.

“Open your fingers,” he said putting his hand underneath mine so I couldn’t move it. The Kangaroo stretched her neck out to my hand, looking as nervous as I felt. “Don’t be so tense,” Niall said gripping my hand tighter. “Just hold your hand out,” he said. “I am holding my hand out,” I said looking at him irritably. The Kangaroos mouth on my hand made me jump backwards, into Niall. “I told you!” I said as the Kangaroo jumped backwards, too. “It didn’t do anything!” Niall said laughing. “Try feeding that one,” he said pointing to one across the place. “No,” I said walking towards the gate, but he grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the other one.

“Just stay still, and don’t jump whenever he tries taking the food,” Niall said. Once again, he was holding my hand out for me, towards the Kangaroo. The Kangaroo came closer to me and I started to step back, but Niall was behind me, his arm around me, so I wasn’t moving more than two inches. The Kangaroo stretched his head towards my hand. I turned my head to the side, preparing for my fingers to be gone in five seconds. With my eyes squinted shut, I heard Niall laugh. “What are you doing?” He asked when I opened my eyes and looked at him. I turned my head and looked at the Kangaroo, who was calmly eating out of my hand like it was the most normal thing in the world. I stared at it for a second, then it started to stare back, then I realized it had eaten all the food, and wanted more. Niall put some more in my hand and it started to eat it.

After feeding the Kangaroos for a while, Niall went to get drinks while I went to the bathroom. 

“I didn’t know which kind you wanted, so I got one of each. You want the Blueberry or the Raspberry?” Niall asked holding up the two slushies in his hands.

“Doesn’t matter to me,” I said. 

“Pick one,” he insisted. 

“Blue,” I said rolling my eyes as I sat down on a bench. 

“Good, I liked the Raspberry better,” he said.

“Oh, so you tried them both?” I asked looking up at him.

“Yes,” he said grinning. 

I shook my head and held my hand out for my drink as he came to sit down beside me.

“The blue was too sour for me, the Raspberry was sweeter,” he said holding out my drink as he took a sip of his. I reached up, without looking, and my heart jumped when my fingers closed around the cup and his hand along with it. I wasn’t sure which one of us jerked back faster, so I didn’t know whose fault it was when the blue drink fell and splattered across his white polo and my jeans. I expected Niall to start laughing, but he only stared down at his shirt, his mouth slightly open. 

“I’m sorry,” I said quickly, now looking at the blue drink on my pants.

“It’s my fault,” he said standing up. 

“No, I-” I started but he stopped me. “Come on, you’re soaked,” he said motioning for me to get up.

“I’m fine, but you’re shirt is a new color,” I said seeing most of the left side of his shirt was now light blue. He looked down at it and shrugged.

“Come on, we’ll go back to the hotel and change, and then we can go grab a bite to eat,” he said looking down at me. “Alright,” I said standing up and following him out of the zoo. 

“If I spilled my drink on me, I’d look like the American flag,” he said once outside of the zoo as he sipped his drink. “Lovely,” I said looking at his shirt. The drink hadn’t really shown up on my jeans, but the blue showed up very colorful and bright on Niall’s tight white polo, and it was soaked through so it was sticking to him. “You want some? Since I spilled yours,” he said holding out his drink to me. I shook my head. “Please flag down a cab, they hate me,” I said and he laughed. 

A few minutes later we were in a cab and on our way back to the hotel. 

“You look good in blue,” I said looking at Niall from across the back of the cab. He laughed. “Thanks,” he said balancing the Raspberry drink on his knee. It started to slide and I reached out and grabbed it before he could. Then I took a big gulp of it. I hadn’t realized how thirsty I had been. I looked up to see Niall grinning. His lips had turned a bright red from the drink. I realized I was probably doing the very thing millions girls would love to be doing right now; spending the day with Niall Horan and sharing a drink with him. And I hadn’t taken not one picture to prove it.