Chapter Twelve

I woke up to the sound of a blasting TV and the smell of food. I started to sit up, then remembered being dizzy and thought better of it. I turned my head to see pillow. I turned it the other way to see more pillow. I reached my hand out and pushed it out of my face. The only thing I could see was a McDonalds cup and my phone sitting on the bedside table. At least I thought that was mine my phone. When I reached out and grabbed it, I realized it was an iPhone. “It’s dead, but I think your phone is still in your pocket.” I dropped the phone and sat up. Niall started laughing as he dropped McDonalds trash in the garbage can. “What are you doing here?” I asked. He had honestly scared me. I wouldn’t have cared if I heard Emma or Em’s voice say something, but no, it was a deep, guys voice. 

“To make sure you eat,” he said, still grinning as he grabbed something off the TV stand. The TV was still blasting.

 ”Are you deaf?” I asked, grabbing the remote by my feet and hitting mute.

 ”You would loose a little hearing, too, if you had girls screaming at you all the time,” he said walking over to me.

 ”Oh, you know you love,” I said, no humor in my voice, but he laughed anyways. “Never said I didn’t,” he said sitting down on the foot of the bed as I realized what I had in his hands. My pills. “What—?” I began to ask, but he stopped me. “You know it says you shouldn’t take these with an empty stomach? Causes bad side affects,” he said looking at the bottle for a second, then he looked up at me. I chewed on the inside of my cheeks without saying anything. “You gotta take them,” he said. I watched as he poured two of the pills into his hand, then set the bottle down. He reached out and grabbed my hand from my lap and put the pills in my palm. “That drink is yours, take a bite of your food before you take them, though” he said nodding towards the one on the bedside table as he got up and put the pills in my bag. “Did you get them out of my bag?” I asked. “I did,” he said kneeling down to grab his phone off the floor. “Why?” I asked. He turned and grabbed a McDonalds bag out of the mini-fridge. “Here’s your food,” he said, ignoring my question. “Niall, why did you get my pills out of my bag?” I asked more sternly, wanting an answer. He sat the food in my lap and bent down in front of me. “Michaela, eat your food and take your pills,” he said. I was so startled at how close his face was that I barely registered what he had said. Before I could respond he stood back up. “I’m gonna go down the hall and get my charger. Throw your pills or food away and I’ll still make you take or eat them,” he said. 

I didn’t say anything as he left the room. I sat my food and pills on the table and went to the bathroom. I remembered falling earlier but when I looked in the mirror I didn’t have a scratch on me. I don’t think Niall even let me fall five inches. I washed my hands before I heard the door slam back in the room. I closed the door behind me as I came back in the room. “Is it okay if I change my clothes before I eat?” I asked, a bit sarcastically. He nodded as he plugged his phone up. I grabbed some sweats and a T-shirt out of my bag and went back to the bathroom to change. “So, I never got a legit answer to my question,” I said when I came back out. “Which one?” He asked. He was sitting on the end of the bed, flipping the channels on the TV, though it was still muted. “The reason you’re here,” I said. I opened the McDonalds bag and pulled out the McNuggets. “My answer was legit,” he said still looking at the TV. “Okay, how about: where’s Em and Emma? Why exactly do I have to be watched to make sure I eat? Why are you the one doing it?” I asked crawling up on the bed beside him. “Em and Emma went out with the others. They were both supposed to be watching you, making sure you ate and took your medicine when you woke up. Zayn invited Emma out with them all and Nicole invited Em. Em said she would stay and watch you so Emma could go out, Emma didn’t think it was fair so she said she would stay too, so I volunteered to watch you till they got back, then I left and got McDonalds,” he said, grabbing one of my fries out of the McNuggets box in my lap. 

“Who told Em and Emma they had to watch me?” I asked. “Hallie and Jacob were told that someone had to watch you by Marie, of course they didn’t want to do it, so they told Emma and Em they had to,” he said finally throwing the remote aside and turning to me. 

“And why did you volunteer?” I asked, eating a nugget. 

“God, you ask a lot of questions,” he said grinning, “Answer it and I promise it’s the last one,” I said. “Take your medicine and I’ll answer,” he said grabbing the pills of the table. 

“Why do you care if I take my medicine?” I asked, “Nope, no more questions,” he said. 

I rolled my eyes and took the pills from his hand and swallowed them. When I sat my drink down I looked at him for my answer. He smiled hugely and flopped backwards on the bed, pretty much saying he wasn’t giving an answer. I shook my head and threw a nugget at him. He merely grabbed it and ate it. I got up and got my phone out of my jeans pocket. It was still off, so I turned it back on. A few texts came in and 25 missed calls popped up. I deleted them all and sat down at the table. I sat there for a few minutes, eating, when I finally glanced at the clock on my phone. “Niall, exactly how long have you been here with me?” I asked. When he didn’t answer I looked up. He was still lying across my bed. He was also asleep. No wonder he was, it was 2am.