Chapter Fourteen

“You said you weren’t going to tell!” Emma had Anna against the wall within 15 seconds. Harry, Nicole, Louis, and Em made a quick escape around the corner, Niall had me pulled all the way back to the door, at least 10 feet away from everyone, Zayn was talking to Emma, trying to calm her down, and Liam was standing a few feet away from them, watching, while Sarah and Laura stood close to Anna. 

“I lie,” Anna said. 

“Yeah? Well I punch.” Zayn instantly grabbed Emma’s hand as she raised it. 

“No punching!” He said. 

“Anna, I trusted you not to tell!” Emma said backing away from her and letting her off the wall. “Seriously? I mean, all of us knew, Marie was bound to find out sometime!” 

I wasn’t sure Emma and Zayn were dating, but they had been talking a lot, possibly more whenever they were along, but if Emma told Anna something that was so important she had to tell Marie there was obviously something going on. Laura and Sarah weren’t saying anything, but it was clear they were on Anna’s side. I heard someone talking behind the door behind me and Niall. Marie and Paul were coming out. I glanced sideways at Niall as he started walking towards Liam. He nodded towards Zayn. Liam grabbed him around the shoulders, saying something to him, and they both disappeared around the corner. Niall looked back at me, waiting at the corner. I heard Marie’s heels on the floor behind the door and I wrapped my arm around Emma’s shoulders.

“Just remember guys; I’m not mental, but I punch also,” I said steering Emma away as the door of the ballroom opened. I saw Anna give me a confused look, then I figured she remembered her conversation at the pool in LA, when she called me mental, and glanced at Sarah. Me and Emma made it around the corner before Paul and Marie could register that anything had happened, Niall following behind us. I let go of Emma as we made our way to the elevator. 

“Thanks for saying that to her..” Emma said turning to me once in the elevator.

 ”I never liked her anyways,” I said leaning against the wall as Niall pressed the floor button. 

“So… I take it you heard the conversation that day in LA..?” Emma asked quietly. 

“I did.. The pills were only Tylenol.. I promise I’m not ill,” I said. Niall kept his eyes on the floor as Emma nodded. The doors opened and we all stepped out. Emma was out first, already heading for our room. Niall stopped outside the elevator, watching me. “What?” I asked looking back at him. He watched me for a second as he stepped closer. 

“So who all knows about your depression?” I should’ve been surprised about how he just came right out and asked that, but I wasn’t. 

“Only you.. and I’d like to keep it that way,” I said. I didn’t feel the need to mention Hallie and Jacob. 

“How did Emma and Anna know you take pills?” He asked as he stuffed his hands in his pockets. 

“All the girls know, even Nicole and Eleanor, but they don’t know what for. Sarah saw the pills in my bag one day and told them all. Anna got crazy and called me mental or something, by telling Emma it was Tylenol I’m sure she’ll set everyone straight for me, therefore leaving you to be the only one who actually knows I take something,” I said. 

“Well you can trust me.. I won’t tell anyone,” he said. This was something I hadn’t witnessed in a while. The look on Niall’s face, the tone of his voice, the truth in his blue/green eyes. There was no denying that I could trust Niall. He was telling the truth. I usually never trusted anyone, not even my Mom, I never felt like I could. But in this moment I felt I could tell Niall that I committed the most horrible crime and, if I asked him to, he would never tell.

“I’ll see you tomorrow?” He asked, a smile hinting at his lips. I nodded, now feeling awkward for staring at him like I was.                                                       “Hey, wait!” I said, turning to face him.

He turned around and looked at me, his hand on the door knob.

“Thank you,” I said. He smiled at me and nodded, then disappeared into his room.

LA and NY had been good and bad.. I was pretty much scared out of my wits to go to Australia.