03 goodbye

(edited)

(edited)

I made it to the train station just in time. I jogged onto the platform, breathing heavily. 'Blake!' I heard a soft voice call. I looked up to see Alice running towards me.

I sank to my knees, unable to support myself for a second longer. The adrenaline had begun to wear off, leaving my body exhausted and in desperate need of rest.

'Alice,' I whispered, breathing a sigh of relief. 'You made it.' Alice suddenly wrapped her arms around me, catching me off guard. I immediately stiffened but soon relaxed once she nestled her head into my shoulder. I hesitantly hugged back, my arms engulfing her tiny frame. It had been a while since I last felt genuine human contact. It was nice.

Kara approached us, slowing to a stop. 'Yeah, thanks to you,' she said breathlessly. 'If you hadn't done what you did, we wouldn't be standing here right now. Thank you, Blake. Thank you for protecting us.'

I waved her off. 'Please, you don't have to thank me. I'm sure if the roles were reversed, you would have done the exact same thing for me.'

Alice separated herself from me, moving to stand beside Kara who immediately took her hand. She was looking at the train, her eyes filled with worry. 'We better go before they close the doors.'

I slowly stood, the air finally returning to my lungs. They didn't feel like they were on fire now. My throat, however, was extremely parched, the dryness causing me to wince every time I spoke. 'Looks like this is where we say our goodbyes,' I said half-heartedly.

'Are you sure you don't want to come with us?' Alice pressed, looking crestfallen.

I smiled sadly. 'It's for the best that I don't, Alice. Believe me, I wish I could go with you. I really do. . . but I can't. You'll be a whole lot safer without me around.'

Kara tugged on Alice's hand. 'Come on Alice. We need to go.'

Alice's gaze lingered on me. 'Goodbye,' she said softly.

'Take care, Alice.' I looked at Kara. 'Both of you, stay safe.'

I waited, waving at them as the doors sealed shut and the train had started moving along the track. I stood there until the train had fully departed, waiting until I was completely alone on the platform.

I'm glad I helped them escape but now I'd only put myself in danger. That Android had seen my face and he knew I was still in Detroit. It wouldn't take long for him to find me again.

* * *

____
C O N N O R

Lieutenant Anderson put the car in park and hopped out, slamming the door behind him. We were parked across the road from what appeared to be some sort of food truck, crudely named "Chicken Feed". I turned my head, watching as he approached the stand.