38 selfish

(edited)

(edited)

We marched out of the CyberLife assembly plant. Surprisingly, no one tried to stop us—that only made me feel more unsettled. Connor directed the other Androids to downtown Detroit. As we got closer, I could see something blocking the road ahead. It was in the shape of a circle and it was formed with whatever was lying around the street, things such as cars, metal gratings, park benches, industrial material. Someone jumped up onto a ledge and I realised that it was Markus and the others.

            'What are they doing here?'

            Connor leaned in close. 'They went to stage a protest after you were taken. With all eyes on them, it made it easier for me to slip into CyberLife undetected.' I chewed on my lip nervously and Connor took my hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. 'When this is over, I want to spend some quality time with you. No distractions. I want to devote every second of every day to you.'

            I pressed closer to his side. 'I'd like that.'

            'You did it, Connor,' Markus said as he approached us, North, Josh and Simon at his side.

            'We did it.' Connor smiled.

            North then rushed to my side, taking me into her arms. 'Thank god you're okay.' She hugged me close to her chest. 'Any longer and I would have stormed that CyberLife assembly plant myself.'

            I laughed. 'It's nice to see you, too.' The snow had started to fall more softly, flakes gently floating down to settle on my clothes and in my hair. The wind had dropped to a soft breeze, caressing my skin. 'But the fight isn't over. CyberLife isn't going to stop until they get that code.'

            Markus took a step towards me, brows tugged downwards in a frown. 'What code?'

            'My parents worked for CyberLife,' I explained. 'They were the ones who entered a code into the Androids' programs to allow deviancy to occur. They're the ones who made all of this possible.'

            A confused frown quickly formed on Hank's face. 'Wait, your parents worked for CyberLife?'

            I nodded. 'And when they tried to leave, CyberLife hunted them down. They're the ones who caused the accident that killed my parents nine years ago.'

            Running a hand through his stringy hair, Hank's eyes widened. 'Holy shit. The accident on the coastline. . . The little girl I saved from the wreckage. That was you.' I nodded and Hank's expression softened. 'I came to visit you at the hospital just after you were admitted. I wanted to see how you were doing. But, when I went to your room, you weren't there. . . The only thing the nurse told me was that you had been removed from their care.'