25 decieve

(edited)

(edited)

A week passed since we arrived at the cabin. Connor spent most of the time trying to access the files stored in CyberLife's database or conversing with Markus. Not that I had any clue as to how he managed to even contact him without a working phone. Meanwhile, I preoccupied myself with cleaning up the house and reading whatever books I found lying around. Not like a had much else to do.

'Would you like to go swimming?' Connor suddenly piped up from the kitchen, making me look up from my book. I was sitting on the couch with my legs kicked over the side, my back resting up against one of the crocheted pillows.

'Swimming?' I repeated, just to make sure I had heard him right. 'You want to go swimming?'

Connor shrugged meekly. 'Why not?'

I closed my book and rested my hands on the cover. 'Where would we even go? Is there even a place like that around here?'

'There's a lake on the property,' he answered. 'I thought we could go there. After all, the only thing I've done for the past week is research. It would be nice to take a short break.'

A broad smile crept along my lips. 'Okay,' I said, and Connor's eyes lit up. 'Let's go swimming.'

He grinned.

I then followed him out the door, down the front steps, and off into the thick of the woods. The forestry surrounding the cabin was full of life. Animals darted through the underbrush and flora bloomed under my feet. The earthy aroma of dirt, wood, and other sweet-smelling flowers, also invaded my senses, filling my chest with a lightness I hadn't felt in a long time. In that moment, I felt content, like I could stand in the forest for hours on end and still be captivated by every little thing.

Connor took my hand, helping me over a large moss-covered log. As I stepped onto it, I caught a glimpse of the shimmering waters awaiting us. Unable to contain my excitement, I jumped down and broke into a run.

'Race you!' I called to Connor from over my shoulder. He momentarily froze before quickly pursuing me. I dashed through the greenery until I was standing at the edge of a lake. The waters seemed to stretch on for miles, landforms appearing miniature in the distance. Smiling uncontrollably, I started tugging my shirt over my head. Tossing it aside, I worked on the buttons of my jeans. I glanced over to see Connor already shirtless, his hands fumbling with his belt. I grinned as I quickly kicked my shoes off.

I then waded into the water, shrieking. 'It's so cold!'

The sound of Connor's laughter filled the air. 'Maybe I should have checked the temperature beforehand.'