09 unsteady

(edited)

(edited)

____
B L A K E

I had been sitting with the others when Markus suggested we break into the Stratford Tower. He was insistent on the fact that they couldn't stay silent anymore, that broadcasting their message was the only way to ensure that humans were aware of Android rights and freedoms. I wholeheartedly agreed with him, as did the others.

            Markus and I crossed over to the entrance of the tower. The place was lively, people and Androids alike wandering the large space. The others had been reluctant at first. They informed me of the dangers surrounding the operation, suggesting that I should refrain from drawing any necessary attention to myself. Of course, I knew it would be dangerous and that I would be putting myself at risk. However, I still went along with it. I refused to be one of those people who sat back whilst the people they cared about put themselves in danger.

            'Channel 16 broadcasts from the Stratford Tower. The control room is on the top floor. That's where we need to go. We'll plan the operation down to the smallest detail. We can't leave anything to chance.'

            North had brought me some clothes for the mission. There was a tight-fitting black dress with thin spaghetti straps and plunging V-neck. She'd also kindly gifted me a pair of black stilettos. I had styled my hair, loosely curling it, and dying the ends a light shade of brown. I had also applied a light layer of make-up, completing my outfit with a selection of jewellery.

            Markus wore a suit with a dark brown coat over the top, his shoulders squared as he moved. I walked beside him, my heels clicking across the hard concrete ground. We turned heads, some people even stopping to stare. I drew in a deep breath and kept walking, pushing my anxiety to the back of my mind. When we were inside the building, we walked over to the receptionist. There were three people: two being an Android and the other being a human.

            'Wait here,' Markus whispered before heading over towards the human supervisor. I watched as he stood back, almost as if he were analysing her. In one seamless action, he turned around and started saying something under his breath. The phone on the desk then started ringing and the woman quickly picked it up, pressing the device to her ear. She stood half way through the call, muttering something into the receiver before ending the call and leaving her desk. Markus glanced over at me, smirking.

            'Impressive,' I said once he was back by my side.

            'You haven't seen nothing yet.'

            For a moment, I stopped and simply admired Markus. A few days had passed since he caught me crying, since he hugged me. I don't know what it was about him—maybe it was the fact that he had seen me in my most vulnerable state and hadn't judged or pitied me for it—but my heart skipped a beat whenever I thought about his arms wrapped around me.