12 dependent

(edited)

(edited)

____
B L A K E

He saved me; Connorthe supposed cold-hearted deviant hunter. I was still in disbelief, hardly able to wrap my head around the situation. The last thing I could remember was him finding me on the rooftop of the Stratford Tower and me asking for help. I never actually thought he would, though. I honestly expected him to turn me over to the Detroit Police. Instead, he took me a motel. . . ?

            I looked around, pressing my palm to my temple. I was still weak from blood loss. I felt like my insides had been replaced with stones, weighing me down. It was similar to the motel I had stayed at: queen-sized bed, wooden bedside tables, a circular table, flat-screen TV mounted on the wall, relatively modern kitchenette, and a cramped bathroom. Connor had walked into the kitchen, standing with his back turned to me.

            I squeezed my eyes shut as pain snaked its way up my thigh. Connor had cleaned my wound, wrapping my leg in white gauze. The bleeding had stopped, as far as I could tell. That's good. I blew out a breath and ran my hands through my hair, detangling the knots that had formed.

            'How long have I been out?' I asked, calling to Connor in the kitchen.

            'Three hours,' he replied flatly.

            'Won't your partner be worried?'

            Connor walked over to me, carrying a steaming mug of dark liquid. 'How do you know Hank?' he questioned, handing me the drink before taking a seat on the stool beside the bed.

            I cupped the mug, the heat warming my frost-bitten fingertips. I stared down into the black cesspool, grimacing at my warped appearance. I looked awful, to say the least; paper-white skin, dark shadows under my eyes, and red teeth-bitten lips. 'Lieutenant Anderson was the police officer who pulled me from the wreckage all those years ago,' I explained, taking a sip of the drink Connor had made me. 'I recognised him from one of the news broadcasts they played on TV.'

            'Oh. . .'

            I smiled, humoured by his expression. Suddenly, I found myself admiring him. Like the way the light reflected in his rich brown eyes, or the way a few strands of hair fell over his forehead—even the little flick at the end of his eyebrow.

            Why does he have to be so cute?

            'Hey Connor?'

            His eyes found mine. 'Yes?'

            'Why do you hate deviants so much?'