35 exchange

(edited)

(edited)

'Connor?' That's not possible. Connor can't be here. . .

The nurse walked around to face me, dropping into a crouching position. She undid my binds, the leather straps falling away. Meanwhile, I just sat there in total disbelief, unable to believe what I was seeing before me. After the nurse had moved away, disappearing down the way we had come, I finally stood, the feeling returning to my legs. Turning to Amanda, I gritted my teeth. 'If this is some sort of sick joke—'

She frowned, her chocolate skin creasing between her brows. 'I thought you'd be happy? And, on the contrary, I don't do jokes.'

I rolled my eyes. 'Of course not,' I muttered under my breath before glancing at Connor. He was standing there, perfectly still, eyes scanning his environment. His face was expressionless, a blank look claiming his features. That's not my Connor. That's something he would have done before he became deviant. That was something he did when he was just a machine, taking orders from CyberLife.

I hate liars.

'Where's my Connor?' I stood tall, eyeing Amanda sternly. 'That's not the Connor I know.'

She took a few steps forward, her movements perfectly calculated. There was something eerie about her. Maybe it was the way her heels clicked across the polished flooring, resonating around a room full of motionless Androids, or maybe it was the calm expression on her face. Whatever it was, it made me want to coil away from everything all together.

'And here I thought you were just a petty criminal.' She tilted her chin up at me, smiling. 'Consider me impressed.'

'He's not here, is he?' I said, balling my fists at my sides.

That's a good thing, though. They can't hurt him. But, if my Connor isn't here, then who is that?

Amanda walked around Connor, settling her hands on his shoulders. 'This is Connor, only the second in its series. You see, we had to take extra precautions. If any harm or severe damage was to befall the RK800 sent to the Detroit Police Department, there wouldn't be a replacement. Therefore, CyberLife designed a series of Connor's. Think of it as insurance.'

'I thought he was a prototype?' I questioned, brow raised.

Amanda released his shoulders and took a few steps off to the side. 'Oh, it is. It's just not a unique model. That's all.'

'Why are showing me this?' I asked, gesturing to Connor and the other Androids. 'What could you possibly hope to gain?'

Dusting her hands and wringing them slightly, Amanda glanced around the space. 'An incentive. These are the last remaining Androids, outside of the camps and those that have deviated from their original program. Once those Androids serve their purposes, they will be disposed of. Unfortunately, if you don't give us the code your parents created to allow deviancy to occur in the Androids, then I'm afraid we'll just have to solve the issue ourselves. No new Androids will be manufactured, designed or integrated into society until we can correct the malfunction your parents caused—'