39 negotiate

(edited)

(edited)

____
C O N N O R

I watched in pained silence as Blake left. It felt like my heart was being torn from my chest, ever-so-slowly. Unfortunately, it wasn't destroyed completely, leaving me standing there, my heart weeping, but still alive. It was unbelievably painful. Hank placed his hand on my shoulder.

'She'll be fine, Connor. Try not to worry too much.'

I nodded stiffly, my movements feeling sluggish and delayed. 'Right.'

When the car finally disappeared from view, Markus sighed. 'It's time.' He looked to me, expectant. While Blake was preparing to leave, I had contacted Amanda. I told her that we were willing to negotiate and she agreed to meet. Not that I actually believed she was coming to negotiate terms. This was a war, after all. There weren't any negotiations, not after what I pulled anyway.

'Have you got the guns?' I asked and Markus nodded.

'North is helping arm the others.'

'Good,' I said. 'Now we wait.'

I tugged my jacket closer. Blake had insisted that I take it back, saying that it would be better if I had it. I would have preferred her to keep it. If anything were to happen to me, at least I'd find some comfort in knowing that she had a little piece of me with her. But I couldn't rely on that now.

I have no other choice but to survive. Not only for myself, but for Blake, the Lieutenant, Markus, and for the rest of Android kind.

As we waited, I glanced at Hank in my peripheral vision. He blew out a breath, a plume of air forming. I hadn't even realised how cold it had gotten. 'Hank, maybe you should go back to the precinct. It'll be safer there.'

'Not a chance, Connor. You may have managed to drive Blake away, but you can't fool me. I'm not going anywhere.'

I drove Blake away to protect her. I understand that she wants to see this through, to even the score with CyberLife, especially everything they've put her through, but that rage could lead to her making irrational decisions, and that could potentially get her killed. If that were to happen, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. Losing Blake terrified me, more than anything else in the world. I would rather send her away than send her to her death.

I wanted to protect the Lieutenant also. Over the time we spent as partners, I had grown close to him. He became one of my best friends and someone of extreme importance in my life. He helped me realise that I was more than a machine, programmed to receive and carry out orders.