Chapter One - Explanation

Percy ran through the woods, dodging trees and bushes. His eyes had none of their usual happiness and humor. They only held pain and hurt. The pain that he had carried from the moment Zoë died, to the moment that Luke had died to the moment that sent him off running. He ran from his home. The only real home he had had in his short eighteen years: Camp Half-Blood. The woods around him slowly began to thin, and then opened up to a large clearing. He stopped and sat down on a rock. Tears began to flow from his eyes; he didn't bother to hold them back any longer.

As he cried, he heard a twig snap in the woods to his left. He uncapped Riptide and got ready to defend himself. What, or rather who came out of the woods surprised him. In front of him, was the only person that he could trust; Piper Mclean. Her face was covered in scratches and a light coating of tears. Her kaleidoscope eyes sparkled, but not with the same light that they usually do. Now, they have only sadness and betrayal.

When she saw Percy, her kaleidoscope eyes flashed through many different emotions. It started with relief, then, as she realized his eyes were red and he looked like hell, to sadness, and finally to worry. Thoughts raced through her head as she stumbled into the clearing.

The whole world had turned upside-down in a few moments. Jason, the person she thought she could trust the most, and lied to her, he had told her that he was going to hang out with Leo, but Piper's gut feeling told her that that wasn't the truth, and it had something to do with the fact that everyone was avoiding Percy, even Annabeth.

She had followed him to the edge of the woods, and her heart had fallen into her feet. He stood there kissing a certain grey eyed, blonde haired girl that she thought was smart enough not to cheat on Percy. She ran to the big house, and talked to Chiron. When she got there, she saw Chiron talking to someone. It was the new kid. He had come to camp right before camp had started for the summer, and after that, people began to act weird to Percy. She waited until they were done, and then ran into the room. Chiron had a faraway look in his eyes, like he had just heard something that he didn't want to hear.

When Chiron saw her, he smiled, and said. "What is it my dear? Why do you look like you have been crying?"

"Chrion, what is going on at camp? Everyone had been avoiding Percy. I even just saw Annabeth and Jason kissing in the woods. Why would Jason do that to me?"

"My dear, you haven't heard. The new kid was claimed today. He is a son of Hermes. He said that Percy had betrayed the gods. He even has proof, but only just found it. I do not know why Jason would cheat on you, but there is nothing I can do about it."

"What!" Piper said, shocked by what she was hearing. "Percy would never do that. You know it!" At this point, Piper had forgotten about Jason cheating on her, she was so shocked about what Chiron said about Percy. His fatal flaw was loyalty for crying out loud, why would he be a traitor and why did Chiron believe this, Chiron was like a father to Percy.

"I'm sorry Piper, but the proof is good. I have called a meeting with the entire camp. We will discuss what has happened. I don't know why they have been avoiding you, but Percy is a traitor. I am sorry." Piper stood there shocked as Chiron walked towards the rec room. She knew that Percy was no traitor, and was beginning to get mad, and at the same time, very sad. All of Percy's friends have left him. She was the only one left.

<-><-><->

She saw Percy sitting on the stump. She was happy to see that he was okay, after he had been called a traitor, disowned by his father, yelled at Annabeth in front of the whole camp, and then ran off. As she looked at him, her relief faded away. He looked terrible. His eyes were red, he had tears streaking down his face, and cuts and burses covered his body. She ran to him and gave him a hug before he could drop Riptide, thankful that he was still alive.

Percy was glad to see Piper; she had been the only one that had felt any sympathy for him. He knew that he hadn't deserved what he had gotten, but that didn't matter. His fatal flaw, loyalty to his friends and the ones that he loved, had utterly annihilated him. It started when he came back to camp for the summer. As he walked around, people seemed to be giving him a wide birth, like he had a contagious disease. It continued like that for the next few days, Annabeth and the rest of the seven had been the only ones that seemed to stay close to him. After a few days he finally got the courage to ask Annabeth what was going on. She simply acted like she didn't notice anything, but she had to have seen something. Even the people Percy considered being good friends with like Katie Gardener, Clarisse La Rue, and even Nico had never even noticed that Percy was back. Annabeth continued to act like he didn't exist, until the night when Percy ran.

Percy had just come from Olympus where he had finally gotten permission from Athena to be dating her daughter. Up in till then, even after everything that Percy had done for Annabeth and Athena, Athena acted like Percy should be removed from the world. Percy had gone back to Athena for the final time with one last proposition. He said that if he hurt Annabeth in any way that Athena could blast Percy off the planet. That seemed fine to Percy, and everyone knew what his fatal flaw was, so Athena knew that nothing would ever happen to Annabeth and she accepted. Percy was incredibly happy about the events that had transpired, and for a few precious moments, he had forgotten about the problems at Camp.

By this time, the only people who seemed to want to talk to him were Annabeth and surprisingly Piper. For some reason, Piper continued to be a good friend to Percy, but she really didn't know what was happening, she even swore it on the Styx, and given that she is still alive, she wasn't lying.

It was late in the evening when Percy got back to the Camp. He thanked the cab driver and paid him well, giving an extra tip because he was felling generous and happy. He walked into camp, and found no one around. He ran to the cabins and found only Piper sitting on the porch of the Big House.

"Where is everyone?" Percy asked. Piper looked up slowly, and saw Percy. Her eyes were rimed with red. She had been crying.

"Percy, I-I found out why pe-people have been av-avoiding you," she croaked through sobs.

He sat down next to her and put an arm around her. He asked the question that he had been asking for a few days. "Why are you crying."

"Percy," She looked at him sadly, "The new kid has been spreading rumors about you. They say, they say that you betrayed them. Apparently he has proof too. I know that you would never do that, and even Chiron believes that you betrayed them, and I saw Annabeth and Jason kissing. I'm so sorry; they are having a meeting in the rec room."

Percy jumped up and said, "What!? I'm not a traitor, everyone knows that, and why would Jason and Annabeth cheat on us?!" He ran towards the rec room.

" Percy, you can't go in there. You will be ridiculed," Piper said, grabbing a piece of his shirt, but he yanked it from her grasp and turned back to her.

"I can't let this continue," he said, his eyes full of anger. "I need to talk to them I have to."

Piper wanted to argue, but she knew that she couldn't win an argument. They were probably going to have him brought before the gods, and then killed. She couldn't let that happen. She ran in after him, determined to keep him safe. She may not want him to be her boyfriend, but he was still her friend, and she couldn't let him be killed.