Chapter Four - Hopelessness and Hope

Zeus sat on his throne, thinking about the past five years. Boy had he made a mistake. Five years ago, he sentenced two campers from Camp Half-Blood to death. He knew that it wasn’t right, but at the time it’s like he wasn’t thinking right. He still hadn’t figured it out what happened yet, and of all the people, he felt like he was the most at blame. Most people thought that he hated most demigods, but that was not the case. In most cases, he actually envied them. Their lives seemed so easy, but he knew that that wasn’t true. The problem was that in his case, he had screwed up royally. The two demigods that he had sentenced to be killed had been his two favorite. Percy Jackson and Piper Mclean.  For obvious reasons, Percy was one of his favorites, but he didn’t really know why he liked Piper, all he knew was that he made a mistake. Before he could kill them, they had run away, and no one had heard from them since.  Zeus knew that the majority of the council still wanted them dead, including each of their parents, but he had made a mistake, and he knew it. He wanted to make sure they were alive, and if he had to, he would protect them with his life, but he would never say that to anyone. 

He was brought out of his thoughts when Artemis flashed into the throne room.

“Father, call a council immediately.” She said, with her voice full of worry.

Zeus was startled, but he did what she asked, not bothering to ask why, if Artemis was worried than it must be bad, especially if she needed a council. Within moments, all of the gods were in their thrones, all fourteen of them. After a few years of the disappearance of Percy and Piper, Hades and Hestia were both reinstated as Olympians. It was a unanimous decision. No one was sure why, but Artemis had asked for it, and everyone agreed, it was time.

“Father,” Hermes asked, “What is wrong?”

“I do not know.” He said, before turning his head to Artemis. “What news do you have, daughter?”

“Father, I ran into a Titan.” She said, her face pale. “He said that all of the Titans, as well as some other beings are rising. That they will destroy us successfully this time, we must do something.” In her heart, Artemis knew what the other being was, but she did not want to say it out loud. It was a Primordial, except this time it was Nyx, goddess of the night. All she knew was that it was time for Percy and Piper to come out of hiding. She had been helping them over the past few years, developing their skills, and also hiding them from the rest of the gods, though none of the other gods new this. Artemis knew that the other gods felt bad for what they did, but, at request of Percy and Piper, she had kept the knowledge to herself.

“What does this mean?” Poseidon said.

“It means,” Athena said sadly, “That we don’t have a chance. If the titans are rising at the same time as another power, then we are screwed.” The council was shocked. They had never heard the wisdom goddess look hopeless. It scared the council. “We do not have a hero this time. Percy is not here along with Piper. Even if the other seven could help, we would still almost undoubtedly fail.”

The council was shocked, and frightened. If Athena couldn’t see a way for them to win, then they, as she said were screwed.

“This council is over; we will discuss this matter more tomorrow, after some thought. Goodnight.” Zeus said, before flashing out.  Soon, all the other gods were gone too, all sulking and saddened. Fearing for their safety, along with the safety of the world.  

<-><-><->

Annabeth was happy. Ever since Percy left, her life had been almost perfect. She had thought that she loved him, but when the new camper proved that he was a traitor, she realized how much he ha relied on her, and was glad that he had ran from the camp. Now she and Jason were in a steady relationship, each happy with running the camp. Annabeth had finished the redesign of Olympus, and Jason had been fully accepted by the greek camp, making his relationship with Annabeth easier. In some ways, he missed Piper, but in other ways, he was glad that he wasn’t in a relationship with her anymore. Even if he was a son of Zeus, his life had always been more dangerous with Piper around. Annabeth and him ran the camp as they saw fit, even if that meant that some of the people around the camp hated how it was run.