Chapter Thirteen - Again

Annabeth was completely exhausted. The camp had been doing no stop training for the war since after the first battle came to camp. It was almost never-ending it seemed, seven to six every day, with a break for lunch that was about it, though Annabeth had to admit that the campers were a lot better than they had started out, it was still exhausting for everyone, even those who had been at the camp the longest, like her. She knew that there was a reason for it, but still, eleven hours a day, a little excessive maybe. 

As she got ready to head to bed, she thought about what was occurring around her. She had been happy the last five years with Jason, even if she didn’t know that he wasn’t happy with her. She had run the camp to the best of her abilities, and it seemed like the camp had been doing better. She never looked back on her decision to kiss Jason, even if it had hurt Percy, though she never imagined that the gods would force him out of camp. The one thing that she did regret was the fact that Piper had been banished too. She hadn’t thought about what would happen if someone tried to stand up for Percy. For that reason, and that reason only, she was mad at Nicolas, even if he was dead. She had liked Piper, and they had had a great relationship, especially after their experience Asclepius, and she had no idea that Piper would side with Percy, though it made sense to her now. Just like Piper and she, Piper and Percy had become good friends after the war, and just like Percy, Piper was loyal to those she was friends with.  Annabeth right now wished that she could apologize to Piper, but didn’t know if she was even alive, and Annabeth hated not knowing.

Then everything changed when Polaris and Ivory showed up. They showed up with the Hunters, so it seemed like they were on good terms with them, and Artemis told the campers that they were here to help in a upcoming war.  At first, Annabeth was fine with that, as they didn’t cause a problem, but that went away soon, as they proved to her in their first day at camp that she did not control them, especially after the accident with Ivory. That made her a little mad at them, as she had had control over almost every person in camp, and could get them to do anything, and Annabeth took pride in that, and pride was her fatal flaw. It bothered her to no end that the two mysterious people actually were, as Polaris and Ivory couldn’t have been their real names.

Then the thing with Jason happened. She noticed him hanging out with Polaris and Ivory an odd amount, and began to worry, though she didn’t think too much about it. They played capture the flag, and that is when her whole world changed. Jason had apparently been talking with Polaris and Ivory about over throwing Annabeth, and somehow, Annabeth hadn’t noticed it.  Then Jason broke it off with those simple words. “It is over” He had said. It was only a few days later that she realized what that actually meant for her.  It meant that when she had a bad day or just needed someone to talk to, there was now no one that she could go to for those things, no one that she could fully confide in, and trust, and to say that she missed that was an understatement. Now, she wasn’t the leader of the camp anymore, and so didn’t have as much power as she did before, though she didn’t miss that as much as she missed having someone to confide in, but she missed having responsibilities to do.

Her mind was working overtime with all of these thoughts, and after a few moments, she decided that she just needed to go straight to bed, so without getting changed or even taking her hair down, she fell into bed, and as soon as she hit the pillow, she fell asleep.

Annabeth felt herself enter a dream, and immediately, she became worried that she was in danger. She could feel the power radiating off something or someone in her dream, but could not find anyone. She was standing inside what seemed to be a house, standing in the foyer. The house wasn’t anything special, except for the ceiling. The ceiling seemed to open right up to the night sky, and she could see millions of stars floating in the inky blackness.

“I see you enjoy the view.” A voice said behind her, a hauntingly familiar voice. Annabeth whipped around, pulling her dagger out as she did. She expected to turn around and find someone there, but she saw no one, no one that is until someone stepped out of the shadows.  She gasped when she saw the face. Those eyes had haunted her dreams for the last five years, and the mischievous smile that she used to love had given her the chills whenever she thought about it.  Standing in front of her, was none other than Percy Jackson. She was absolutely terrified of the look that he was giving her, as it was somewhere between a smirk and a glare.