Chapter 14

Chapter 14

"Belle!"

Pumikit ako nang mariin at humugot nang isang malalim na hininga bago ako dahan-dahang humarap kay Leon. He looks confused. Hinabol niya muna ang kaniyang hininga bago siya nagsalitang muli.

"What's wrong?" pang-uusisa niya.

I swallowed hard. "Uh . . ."

"You just walked out the moment I said that I wanted to follow my Dad tonight. Is something wrong? Did I offend you?"

I lowered my gaze to the ground. How can I say it to Leon's face? I will break his heart for sure.

"Leon, listen . . ."

Mataman niya akong tiningnan.

"I'm sorry, I can't go with you tonight. Or tomorrow. Or the next day. If it's anything that has to do with you catching the mistress of your father, I'm sorry, but I can't."

His shoulders slumped in disappointment. "Oh."

"I hope . . . I hope you understand me, Leon."

"Can I at least know the reason why?"

Umiling ako nang marahan.

"Okay, then. I'll respect your decision. But . . . But we're still friends, right?"

Nangilid ang mga luha ko sa mata. "Of course, Leon. Things are just . . . complicated. But it's going to be fine."

Tumango si Leon. "I do hope so . . ."

---

"Ma'am? Saan po kayo pupunta?"

"Magpapahangin lang, Manang." Wika ko sabay suot ng aking jacket. I ignored the weak protest of our housekeeper and strolled past her before she could wake my mother. Dali-dali akong lumabas ng gate at naglakad palayo ng aming bahay.

I shoved my hands into the depths of my pocket. When we reached highschool, we used to roam the empty streets at midnight with my friends. Now that they're gone, I still longed the thrill of the deadly night, even if I'm alone.

Biglang pumasok sa aking isipan si Alas. What would our friendship would be if he's not blind? Sasama kaya siya sa akin ngayon? Maybe we could hit the only café in town or play volleyball at the beach. Is he even interested in sports? Does Alas Ferrer likes to drink milkshake?

"Well, well, well . . ." I halted on my steps when I heard a bunch of familiar voices giggling from behind. The blinding lights from the vehicle made me squint my eyes. After a few seconds, the engine died and the car stopped right in front of me. Cara, Camelia, and the new girl are crowding the back of Jayden's father's pickup. "What are you doing in the middle of the street, Belle? It must be the season of the witch tonight, seeing how you're roaming around like a lost dog."

I stared at Cara. Pinipigilan ko ang aking sarili na irapan siya. Instead, I smiled sweetly at her. "Good evening to you too, Cara."

She gave me a lopsided smile. Jayden rolled down the car window and glanced at me. Blanko ang ekspresiyon ng kaniyang mukha.

"What are you doing, Belle? Finding yourself a sugar daddy just like what your mother did?"

Natigilan ako sa kaniyang sinabi. I squinted my eyes at her. "What did you just said?"

Camelia chuckled and pulled out her phone. The light from the screen illuminated her angelic face but it was so ironic when a devilish smile appeared on her lips when she handed me her phone.

My grip tightened on the device. A blurry picture of my mother and Governor Armendanez occupied the entire screen, kissing just outside the hall. Tahimik kong ibinalik ang phone kay Camelia.