Chapter 30

Chapter 30

Isla thinks I don't notice the bruises in her body, but I do.

I first saw it a few months ago, concealed expertly on the sleeves of her uniform. And every time I see it, the bruises are multiplying. Padami ito nang padami.

That's when I got a sick feeling that something is wrong with her. Definitely wrong.

Every time I think about it, I thought I know Isla. But I don't. I don't know about her family, aside from the fact that her father is a German and left her mother when he found out she was pregnant. But why? If it weren't for Alas, I wouldn't know that she's his ex-girlfriend too.

And... what happened to them? Why did they broke up?

These thoughts disturbed me from my sleep and lingered inside of my head when I woke up the next morning. I barely talked to the governor after the stunt he pulled at the grocery mart. My mother sensed that something is wrong between the two of us but didn't bother to say anything.

"You have to be home right after class. I heard that you're visiting the guy in his house, Isabelle."

I glanced up at him with a blank look on my face. "Who told you that?"

Napatingin ako kay Leon. His eyes widened as if to say, I don't know what he's talking about. It's not me. and I believe it. Leon would not betray me. he's a good guy like that.

"Townspeople. You know this town is small and news spread like a wildfire. Ayaw ko lang na ikaw mismo ang pumupunta sa mansion ng mga Ferrer. What would people think? A girl advances herself towards a guy?" napailing pa ito.

Binalingan ko si mommy sa pagbabakasakaling ipagtatanggol niya ako ngunit nag-iwas lamang siya ng tingin at patuloy na kumain.

Hindi ako sumagot sa governor at padabog na tumayo mula sa aking kinauupuan. It fueled his anger, of course. He yelled my name as I strode outside the dining hall and headed out of the house. Inignora ko ang kaniyang galit na tawag sa akin at dumiretso sa paaralan.

"Belle!"

Here she goes again. Forcing a smile. I sighed as I plopped next to Isla. I think she might've lost a few pounds since the last time I saw her.

And that was only last week.

"Are you okay?" seryosong tanong ko sa kaniya.

Her eyes lit up. "Yes, I'm fine." Then confusion registered on her face. "Why wouldn't I be?"

Umiling ako. I feel sad knowing that Isla won't tell me about her condition. Maybe she didn't see me much of a friend as I see her.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" I mumbled. "Just because Alas and I..."

"It has nothing to do with you going out with Alas." She smiled tightly at me. "What happened between the two of us, it's history. I once loved him and I'm glad to see that he's getting back on his feet now. I am happy for the both of you."

Sometimes I wonder if the girl had really moved on from Alas. Or if she did in the first place.

The thoughts danced inside of my head throughout the day until we had PE. We're performing folk dance by group right now and try as I might, I'm not really a good dancer. Alas is. He dominated the dance on prom night in their living room. Nakasunod lang ako sa kaniya.

Now I'm getting nervous. Hindi pa naman ako nagpapakita sa practices namin. I showed little to no interest with our presentation and now I feel like puking up.

I wonder if Isla is going through the same dilemma. Maputla ang kaniyang mukha at mukhang masusuka na din ito anumang oras. Pinagmasdan ko siya. It's impossible. Isla is a good dancer. She couldn't be nervous by a group performance in our PE class, right?