Chapter 33

Chapter 33

Over the next few days, I convinced myself that I'm allowed to be happy amidst the toughest of situations we are facing right now. I woke up on the day of my birthday, feeling hopeful.

I was delighted that my mom baked me the usual cake she offers every year, a clear indication that the bond between us hasn't completely vanished yet. Gustong magpahanda ng governor para sa akin but I politely refused and told them that I want to celebrate my 17th birthday in private.

"Are you sure?" tanong niya ulit sa akin. I nodded my head and smiled tightly at him. My mom nodded her head as well, encouraging me.

"She isn't really a fan of parties, Raul."

Tumango ang governor but I can see it in his eyes that he really wanted to host a celebration for me. Natuwa ako nang hindi na siya mag-abala pang pilitin ako. Nagpatuloy kami sa pag-kain ng agahan.

When we finished our breakfast, Leon approached me and handed me a long velvet box with the golden words Dior delicately encrypted over its velvety skin.

I opened it and found a stylish cashmere scarf. Nginitian ko si Leon at niyakap siya.

"Alam ba ni Alas na birthday mo ngayon?" tanong niya sa akin nang kumalas na siya sa yakap at pinagmasdan ako.

I shook my head. "No."

Nagtaas ng kilay si Leon. "And? What are you planning to do?"

I grinned. "I prepared something for the two of us."

Nagkamot ng ulo si Leon at nagkibit balikat. "Well, good luck with that, then."

I nodded my head and returned the scarf inside the box, knowing that I wouldn't be able to wear it until I'm a little older.

"So, what are your plans for today?"

"I'm going to visit the ranch."

"The ranch?"

Leon averted his gaze and for a split second, looked like a stubborn little boy. "Well... I want to learn horseback riding."

Nagtaas ako ng kilay sa kaniyang sinabi. "Since when are you interested in riding horses, Leon?"

Pagak na tumawa si Leon sa aking sinabi. "Nakita ko kasi si Mallory na sakay ang kabayo kasama si... kasama si Sage. I thought that if I could learn how to ride a horse... then maybe..." he trailed off and shrugged again.

"Maybe Thaddeus will agree to give you a lesson or two." I murmured, feeling a surge of sympathy towards Leon. Pero, anong ipinagkaiba naming dalawa? Pagak akong napatawa sa loob ng aking isipan.

"Oh, don't give me that pitiful look, sis." Leon playfully nudge me by the ribs before his face turned serious again. "I guess that's just the way it is when you love someone... you're willing to peel yourself to reveal another person. A person who is exactly what they need."

Tumatak sa loob ng aking isipan ang sinabi ni Leon. With his words, I began interrogating myself if I am the person that Alas needs right now. The person he needs right now is the one that would understand him and would close her eyes, pretending that everything's okay.

But it's not.

Nagkakagulo ang mga nurses sa loob ng kwarto ni Isla pagpasok ko. She kept on moaning, tossing back and forth, trying to get rid of the pain. Tears streamed down her face.

Tulala akong nakatayo sa may pintuan. Nasasaktan akong nakikita siyang ganito. The nurse tried to calm her down. Then she wailed loudly. I could tell she's really in a deep pain right now.