Chapter 35

Chapter 35

"Where were you last night?"

I stopped on my tracks and turned to see my mother, frowning at her food before she lifted her gaze at me. Wala ang governor pati na rin ang ibang tao sa bahay. Leon hasn't been home since yesterday as well.

"I..." I trailed off.

"The maid said you came home soaking wet from the rain," ibinaba niya ang tinidor na hawak at dinampian ang kaniyang bibig ng table napkin.

"Well..."

"Is there something wrong, hija?" malumanay ang kaniyang boses na ikinagulat ko. Nag-angat ako ng tingin. I could see genuine concern in her eyes. Napalunok ako.

"Nothing's wrong, mommy..." I squeaked. I could barely hear my voice.

"See, if this is about the Ferrer boy—"

"I know you're just protecting me," I murmured. Hindi pa rin ako gumagalaw mula sa aking kinatatayuan. "And I couldn't be more grateful for that. But... I still need to settle some things before I go, okay?"

Matagal akong tinitigan ni mommy bago siya tumango. "Okay." She pointed to the food in front of her. "Everyone's gone early. Why don't you join me for breakfast? It's been ages since we last ate together."

Even though I don't feel like eating that morning, I nodded my head and padded towards the dining hall, hoping to build the relationship with my mother that I once lost.

Pagkatapos kumain ay nagpunta ako sa hospital. I peered at Isla's sleeping face, my heart clenching in pain once again. In months she had spent in the hospital, she'd gotten so small I could barely recognize her.

Kumatok ako at pumasok. Natutulog pa rin siya. Inilapag ko ang biniling banana cake mula sa bayan at sinimulang ayusin ang kalat sa side table. Her mother must've gone to work already kaya walang nakakapag-ayos ng kalat.

I cleaned the mess and dispose it all to the trash. Nang matapos ay nagulat ako sa nakita. Isla soiled her bed. I called the nurse and she said I could wait outside. My heart sank inside of my bed. Is her condition deteriorating to the point that she'd began soiling her bed?

Nang matapos linisin ng nurse ang kaniyang kama ay pinapasok na niya ako. The room smelled strongly of disinfectant. I glanced at Isla. She's still sleeping and seemed to be weaker as days passed by. Lumapit ako at hinawakan ang kaniyang kamay. Hindi man lang siya umigtad.

I rested my head on the side of her bed, thinking how it was unfair that someone like her, a sweet and pure girl, could get sick like this. She's only 17, for pete's sake! Marami pang puwedeng mangyari sa buhay niya. She hadn't even gone to places and now she's tied to bed, soiling her sheets because she couldn't go to the CR by herself anymore.

Mag-aalas tres ng hapon nang dumating si Alas kasama si Tita August. Tita tried to act cheerful but couldn't combat the overwhelming depression that hung heavily above us. In the end, she excused herself to buy some food even though we've got plenty.

Tahimik at seryosong nakaupo si Alas sa maliit na couch para sa mga bisita. He rested his elbows to his knees. Napatalon ako sa gulat nang bigla nalang siyang humalukipkip at nagsalita.

"You left last night." I could hear the slight accusation in his voice.

"Uh..."

"You could've woke me up." Dagdag pa niya.

"P-Pasensiya ka na. Mahimbing kasi ang tulog mo kaya hindi na kita ginising."

Alas nodded. Then he motioned towards my direction. "Come here..."