Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Christmas came like a breeze. And with a heavy heart, I sat down with the Armendanez for a dinner with their relatives. I have never longed to open a pack of instant noodles and eat dinner with myself than being with them.

"Can't we change your mind regarding the course you're taking for college?" tanong ng governor habang hinihiwa ang beef steak sa kaniyang plato. He barely glanced at me. I bet he's just talking to me for the sake of acknowledging my presence in this table.

"No." tipid kong sagot sa kaniya. Nanatili ang tingin ko sa kinakaing ham.

"But Isabelle, think about-"

"I think you should just let her with what she wants, Raul..." nagulat ako sa boses ni mommy. Nag-angat ako ng tingin. She's already squeezing the hands of her husband. Nakatingin siya dito at ang mga mata'y tila nagsusumamo. "Bata pa lamang si Belle ay sinabi na niya sa aking gusto niyang maging journalist paglaki niya."

I swallowed. I never said that. I just grown accustomed to the glitz and glam of writing when Kristoff introduced it to me. And I only chose the course to annoy the hell out of the governor. Mass communication doesn't seem so bad. But it's not my dream course either. Not that I have one.

Napatitig ako kay mommy. Why is she defending me all of a sudden? Ever since we step into this mansion, I feel like I have already lost my mother to their family. Kaya naman wala na akong inasahan pa mula sa kaniya. My feelings towards her slowly drifted away.

Saglit akong binalingan ni mommy. Tiningnan niya ulit ang governor at naghintay sa sagot nito.

After a little while, he sighed and rubbed his temples. "Fine. You can choose whatever course you want, Isabelle."

Not that I need your permission in the first place...

Itinikom ko ang bibig bago ko pa man siya masagot.

"I only want the best for our children, Marga." Aniya sa mommy ko. Muntik ko nang maibuga ang iniinom na iced tea sa kaniyang sinabi.

Children, huh?

"Me too..." tiningnan akong muli ni mommy. She smiled sadly at me that bothered me for the rest of the dinner. "So do your best when you go to college, okay? Your step-father and I will support you."

Nag-iwas ako ng tingin at hindi umimik. Since Alas and his family went to Makati to spend the Christmas, I don't have any excuse to escape from the mansion anymore. Nabalitaan ko ding may gaganaping team building activity sa lake sa loob ng tatlong araw kaya hindi rin ako makapunta roon.

I was stuck inside of my room, drowning myself with music and with hopes that Alas would call me right away. Palagi siyang nakikisuyo sa ina o di kaya'y sa nagbabantay sa kaniya upang tawagan ako. I couldn't call him because I know he cannot answer, unless his helper is around. Kaya matiyaga na lamang akong naghihintay na siya mismo ang tumawag sa akin.

"How was your dinner with them?" tanong nito sa malalim na tinig. I closed my eyes and smiled to myself. Ever since he sung to me on the phone once, I never stop bugging me to sing me songs to sleep. Ilang beses na niya akong pinagbigyan.

And man, I could never get enough of his voice.

"Terrible..." I muttered. "But I survived the dinner, thankfully."

Alas chuckled. "That's good."

"Eh, ikaw? Kumusta ka diyan sa Makati?" balik-tanong ko sa kaniya.

"Fine. I spent the Christmas with my brother and mom. My mom wouldn't stop playing Christmas songs in our house so I'm stuck and has no choice but to listen to it all day."