Chapter 9: Long Haul

Severus could not believe his eyes. The room is empty. Devoid of all human life. Taking a shaky breath, he stops to think.

If they were taken Draco would have screamed and put up some fight. Looking at the perfect room, noting not a hair was out of place Sev knew that, that could not have been the case. That means they left on their own free will. The worry that threatened to over take the man quickly turned to angers. How dare the brats up and leave with telling someone where they were going. Draco knew very well that he's not allowed anywhere with the express permission of either himself or Lucius and that if he was placed into a room he is not to leave until an adult comes and gets him. Harry doesn't know these rules but more than likely it was the older Little calling the shots on their expedition.

Storming out the back door, Severus starts making his way into the forest. He knows that sooner or later the boys will turn up or he'd be able to hear them.

Draco isn't paying much attention to how deep he's leading Harry into the forest. His only thought is finding the butterfly.

"This way, baby Harry. I think I saw it over there." Harry stumbles for the third time since leaving the cabin, quickly growing irritated and fussy as naptime grows closer.

"No!" he shouts after Draco tries once more to beckon the smaller boy to hurry his strides. "Wanna go. Wanna go back now."

Looking at his obviously tired little brother while ignoring his own droopy eyes, Draco sighs and makes the executive decision that it's time to head back.

"Come on baby Harry. We go home now." Except... where are they? The blonde child looks around and, thinking he spots a trail not too far ahead, starts leading the raven-hair child.

After another 10 minutes of walking and coming to three false trails, Harry starts to kick up a fuss again. He's tired and really wishes he had finished eating before leaving.

Draco's growing scared though. He's supposed to be the big boy and lead them to safety but he has no idea where they are.

"Draaaayyyyyy!" Harry whines.

"Stop it, Harry! I have to find out where are we," Draco snaps beyond frustrated. Harry only looks at Draco. He had never spoken so harshly to him and he didn't like it one bit. The act reminds him too much of his mean cousin, but instead of voicing his feelings Harry drops to the ground and wails. Draco isn't too far behind getting more upset with himself now that he's made his baby cry when he didn't mean to.

Severus has officially decided that he is going to put both Littles over his knee the moment he finds them. He has been searching for numerous hours hoping that he'd at least hear them by now. He has no idea how far they could've gotten or if they're just lost, wandering around in hopes of finding someone.

The first place Severus checked was by the lake. Draco knows to find the nearest body of water so that he can be found easier, but neither boys were anywhere to be found nearby. 

The man spends hours wondering the woods listening out for any indication that the boys are near. He feels his anger quickly get replaced with worry and fear. The thought of any form of punishment completely leaves his mind after the second-hour mark the worst case scenarios play over and over in his head. How he wishes he had disobeyed Lucius and brought along his phone to call anyone for help. The man had a strict policy that no phones were allowed on the trip as to not tempt the adult into doing work rather than having fun.

Just as the sun starts setting Severus finally hears the most glorious sound he could imagine. The soft sniffling of two distressed Littles.

He had finally found them. Stepping out from behind some trees into a small clearing, Severus's heart breaks a little at the sight.