Prologue

Hybrids have long existed in mankind. The first hybrid was made in a laboratory 50 years ago. Lots of people supported it, while others classified it as a "mutation".

Nowadays, humans own hybrids. They're used for several purposes. Some are used as house pets while others are used as slaves. Hybrids are very mistreated. Humans abuse them in all ways possible, seeing them as nothing more than animals. Of course, there are Hybrid Rights, but law doesn't care much about "mutated" humans.

Hybrids are genetically modified, and that has its cons and pros, but it differs from a hybrid to another. They're either too strong and fast, or too weak and slow. Either more clever than average, or less clever than average. But there was only one thing common in all hybrids: they didn't live long.

Hybrids are classified into three codes.

Code: Green: The hybrid is not dangerous, is safe to be let out to the public with no electric collar. Needs a name tag to be identified as owned.

Code: Yellow: The hybrid can be dangerous in some situations. Doesn't require an electric collar, but a leash. Needs a name tag to be identified as owned.

Code: Red: The hybrid is extremely dangerous. Can not be tamed. Better not let out in public at all. Requires an electric collar 24/7.

Most people adopt Code Green hybrids, and some adopt Code Yellow. I, however, am one of the very few who decided to adopt a Code Red with an uneasy feeling.

So here I am, right in front of the Code Red Hybrid Shelter (C.R.H.S.), which is more like a prison. Code Red Hybrids are kept inside in cells, with electric collars around their necks.

I step in, taking in the sight of the entrance. It looks like a hospital's reception. The walls are white, and there are a few chairs resting on them. In front of me is a white porcelain table where a handsome young man in white is standing, his eyes fixated on the computer screen facing him.

I step forward and clear my throat, and he lifts his head, his eyes locking with mine. A smile immediately replaces the concentrating scowl he had and I can't help but smile back.

"Welcome to the Code Red Hybrid Shelter. How may I help you?" He chimes and I see his eyes sparkling, definitely because not much people visit this place and he's happy to see one.

"I would like to adopt a Code Red Hybrid," I start.

He nods, his shiny hair bouncing up and down. "Sure thing, but as you know, not everyone is allowed to adopt a Code Red Hybrid since they're impossible to be tamed, so I'd like to know your purpose and if you have a permission from the H.R.C."

I nod, already knowing that he was going to say that. I open my purse and start rummaging through it as I speak, "I work for the Hybrids' Rights Corporation itself, and I'm doing a research about Code Red Hybrids."

I slip out a note and hand it to him, "This is my permission."

He scans the note then nods with a satisfied smile, giving me back the paper.

"Alright, Miss Min Hanseol," He says. "My name is Jung Hoseok and I'll be helping you today to find the right hybrid."

He comes out from behind the table and walks, gesturing me to follow him. I take quick steps to keep up with his long strides.

"Are you searching for something special?" He asks. "A certain breed? Age? Gender?"

"A dog hybrid," I reply. "But age and gender don't matter."

"Any specific species?" He asks, now unlocking a huge white door and walking through a long corridor with doors on left and right.

"Something dangerous," I let out through heavy breaths. "Pitbull, Rottweiler, Huskeyㅡ"

He stops abruptly and turns around, and it takes all what's in me to stop my body from jerking forward and bumping into him.

"How about a German Shepherd?" He smiles.

I nod. "Yes. Perfect."

"Great!" He exclaims, then opens a door on the left, leading to another long corridor. "I think we have what you need. He just arrived last week from the Shelter in Daegu."

"Why did you transfer him here, though?" I furrow my eyebrows.

Hoseok lets out a chuckle, and my heart skips a beat. "He caused trouble there. Attacked three workers. One is in the I.C.U. and the two others won't get discharged soon."

I gulp.

He continues. "And it's known that this Shelter, here, in Seoul, is the strictest and has the best security. They brought him here in hope we'll be able to tame him. We didn't so far, but thankfully there are no attacks... "

"Yet," He adds.

He stops in front of a white door with a small glass window at the top and turns to me with a smile. "This is his room. His name is Taehyung. Male. 23. German Shepherd hybrid."

He turns on his heel and pulls out a card from his pocket, swiping it across a small screen over the door's handle and turning it. He pushes the door open and I gulp again, feeling my heartbeats increasing by the second.

He walks in and I follow him, taking a look around the room.

It's fairly small, with blank white walls and blinding white lights. There's nothing in the room but a bed, and a male hybrid sitting on it.

He's sitting on the edge of the bed, and his eyes are fixated on us, as if he knew we were coming. There's a metal collar around his neck, with red light on the front.

I take a moment to look at his face. He is frowning, and from what I can tell, he is mad. His tail's hair is standing up and his ears perk at every little sound.

Defensive mode.

His eyes shoot daggers through me, and I feel myself shiver under his gaze. He looks ready to attack.

"Taehyung, this is Miss Min Hanseol, and she might adopt you," Hoseok turns to me. "This is Taehyung. You can have a talk with him if you want, but I can't leave you alone for safety reasons."

I take one glance at Taehyung, and I tick a task in my mind. That is everything I need. I am standing right here, he's a few metres away but I feel already attacked.

I shake my head, my eyes still fixated on him. I know what I'm doing.

"No, it's okay. I'll take him. He's exactly what I need."

---

A/N:

If y'all are here for some cute fluffy hybrid au you're at the wrong place

Of course there will be fluff but rare. Most is angst, action, and not so cute stuff.

Be prepared. The book is coming soon.

Welcome to book one of the "Code:" trilogy :)