Ch29: Lost In Thought

I pick up my cup of coffee and bring it to my lips, letting out a sigh when I realize it's empty. I put it back down and avert my gaze to my laptop, bringing my fingers to the keypad as I type in.

"How long have you been awake?"

I turn my head to see Taehyung standing, his hair still dishelved as he squints his eyes down at me.

"A while," I reply, looking back at the laptop and pushing my glasses up the bridge of my nose. "I didn't make you breakfast 'cause I knew you'll wake up late. Wash up and make your breakfast."

"You look smart with those glasses. You should wear them more, they hide how dumb you actually are," He says.

I roll my eyes and ignore him, too used to his insults now. After a few seconds, he comes and sits beside me, staring at the screen.

"No," I whine, nudging him away, "Go and brush your teeth."

He nudges me back and keeps his eyes on the screen, his eyebrows furrowed in concentration as he reads what I'm typing.

"This is about me, huh?" He says, "The research."

"It is," I say, nodding. "I'm submitting it soon."

"And then what?"

"And then what?" I repeat his question, turning to look at him.

"Will I go back to the shelter?" He asks carefully, studying my face.

"We talked about this before, didn't we? It's up to you, Tae." I bring my hand up to pet him, and he immediately brings his head down to my shoulder.

"Do you want me to stay?" He asks, nuzzling his nose into my neck.

I squirm at the ticklish feeling, but continue scratching behind his ears anyway.

"I would be lying if I say I don't," I say, smiling for the first time today when his tail starts wagging.

"I want to stay, too," He says in a low whisper, almost as if he doesn't want me to hear it, but I do, and my smile grows wider.

I continue typing with one hand, my other occupied with petting Taehyung, and although it's much slower, I don't mind it. Not at all.

"Did you like your Christmas gift?" I ask, "I thought you would need it."

I bought him a mobile phone on Christmas because he didn't have one. It definetly wasn't the latest model, but it was something affordable and that he could go by with.

He hums in response, his eyes shut as he leans his head on my shoulder. It starts hurting a few minutes later, but he looks too calm and peaceful that I don't want to disturb him, his chest heaving up and down in steady breaths.

The bell rings and I slowly get up, ignoring the whining Taehyung as I gently push him away and head to the door. Looking through the peephole, I see Jimin, looking down at his feet with Jungkook behind him.

I open the door and greet them with a smile, one that's quite similar to Jimin's: empty.

"Jungkook said he wants to spend a little time with you, if that's alright," He says.

"Of course it is." I let them in, letting my eyes scan Jungkook's droopy ears as he walks in, shutting the door and taking my hand in his without a word.

I let him drag me to the couch and seats both of us, right before he pulls me in a tight hug, his head resting on my shoulder and his arms securely wrapped around my waist.

"Are you okay?" I ask as I hug back, carefully bringing my hand up to pet his ears, feeling his tense shoulders rest as I do so.

And I know it's stupid of me to ask that question, because whether he admits it or he doesn't, no, he is not okay.

"I don't feel good," He says in a low whisper, his hands shaking as he clutches onto my shirt.

"I know," I whisper back, gulping down the lump in my throat.

Jimin watches us from the chair, leaning back and crossing his arms. His face is calm and blank, and the more I look, the more it seems like he isn't watching us. Instead, it looks like his eyes are lost too deep in thought.

Taehyung appears, now looking more presentable with his hair neatly combed and not in his pyjamas anymore. He sits on the other side of Jungkook, his eyes slowly going from Jimin to me hugging Jungkook, then back to Jimin. He sends me a questioning look, and before I get the chance to reply, Jungkook detaches himself from me.

He leans closer to Taehyung and pulls him in a hug, too. The latter stays still for a few seconds, looking at me with raised eyebrows. I smile and give him a knowing look, and as if he got the message I was trying to send him, he hugs Jungkook back, whispering soothing words in his ear.

I hear my phone ring in my bedroom, so I get up to pick the call. I see my boss' name displayed on my screen, and I furrow my eyebrows, wondering what he would want.

I pick it up anyway, ready to hear Namjoon's calm and collected voice, but as it comes out hasty and rushed, my blood runs cold and my heart beats fasten.

"Hanseol, open the news channel right now. I think you should see this."

---

A/N: dun dun dun what do u guys guess it would be on the news 👀