Ch25: "Thank You, But No, Thank You"

"I remember the very first human I lived with," He says. "I never really met my parents. All I know is that my father disappeared after my mother got pregnant, and that she died right after giving birth to me."

"I lived with an old woman who used to be mom's guardian and once I was born, she was more than glad to have me in. She was very kind and sweet. I used to call her grandma, and she used to always call me Tae," He pauses. "As I grew older, I noticed how she was getting weaker. She wasn't as healthy and that made me upset. She died when I was ten, and that was the last time someone called me by that nickname."

"I'm sorry," I say softly, my hand reaching out for his.

"So," I add. "You don't want me to call you that?"

He sighs. "The first time you called me that I was taken aback, because I suddenly remembered her when I haven't thought about her for a while. I don't have any photos of her, nothing. The only thing which I still have is the nickname she gave me. I feel like it's the only thing to remember her with, and it's hers, so no one else should use it, no one but her."

"But it's okay," He chuckles. "If you want to call me Tae, it's fine by me. In the beginning I felt mad whenever you called me that but now I just feel... grateful."

"Grateful?" I repeat, a little confused at his word choice.

He nods. "I hate to admit it, Hanseol, but I'm grateful I met you."

My heart flutters at his words, and I purse my lips, guilt washing over me. The reason why I adopted Taehyung was because of the research, and that gets me to thinking of what will happen when the research is over. Will Taehyung continue living with me? Will he want to leave?

"I know," He says suddenly, pulling me out of my trance. "I know why I'm here, Hanseol; I'm not stupid."

He turns his head to me, and even though it's dark and I can't really make out his features, I can feel his eyes boring into mines.

"I know I'm just a project," He says in a low voice. "And I know I'm supposed to feel used and upset, but I don't because first, I knew from the very beginning so I'm not disappointed or anything and second, I know you think of me as more than just a project."

I open my mouth to reply, but no words come out for I have no idea what to say. I realize my hand is still in his, and I try to pull it away slowly, but he tightens his grip.

"What is it?" He lets out an airy chuckle, making my heart accelerate.

"I'm sorry," I blurt out.

He hums. "I know, but tell me, what will happen after you're done with this project?"

I gulp. "What do you mean?"

"You know what I mean," He says. "Will you put me back in the Shelter?"

"What? No way," I shake my head. "This research just proves that the whole classification thing is utterly stupid. You're classified as a Code Red, as in I should be dead by now but here we are, holding hands and talking normally. We are the ones who made you like that, and I apologize on behalf of humanity, Tae, I apologize on behalf of those who made you like this."

"Hopefully," I continue. "After this research is done, there will be no more classifications of hybrids, and Shelters won't be like prisons anymore, they'll be normal Shelters where hybrids are neither mistreated nor locked up."

"You have lots of hope," He says. "I like the way you think, but trust me, this won't happen. There are only a few good people in the world right now, and most won't agree to this. The government will say no for sure, and that thought of humans and hybrids living in harmony is a delusion. It's either humans are superior, or hybrids."

I shake my head. "There's hope. I know it sounds impossible but it's not. If you put your trust in me, I will do it. It's a promise from me to you, Taehyung. Whether tomorrow or in a hundred years, I promise you a day will come when hybrids and humans live together normally."

As I speak, I realize my grip on Taehyung's hand is stronger, but I keep it as a reassurance. Again, Taehyung doesn't say anything, and just gives a small hum, leaning his head on my shoulder and making me gasp lowly.

"Thank you," He mumbles. "But no, thank you."

I open my mouth to protest, but shut it back again, and let out a sigh instead. As I drift off to sleep, my mind keeps on thinking about the last sentence he said, and it makes me anxious somewhat.