Ch12: A Relief

It's quiet. Way too quiet.

I sit in the living room, staring into blank space while my boss, Kim Namjoon, sits opposite me.

A week ago we, the HRC, sent a letter to the government, wanting to establish a new rule in which hybrids have the right for education. They replied today, and their answer was "only if there are valid hybrid schools" as in, they don't want hybrids to go to normal schools, they want them to have their own schools.

They mentioned, however, that they do not intend to establish these schools, and it leaves our company with one option, build the schools ourselves, and I doubt we have enough money, and with no support from most of the world, it's almost impossible.

I sigh, and I speak up.

"Can we afford it?" I ask, massaging my nose bridge. "Maybe take a loan from the bank?"

"It's a non-profiting organization," He pushes his glasses up his nose. "You don't suppose hybrids' guardians will pay money for education, do you? There are a very few working hybrids, but they don't have families, Hanseol, so there's no way we'll be able to pay back the loan, that is if the bank accepts in the first place."

We both stay silent for a while, and I give a small acknowledging hum.

"Only the government can build it, huh?"

"And it won't," He mutters.

"What about donations?"

Namjoon lets out a bitter chuckle before he speaks. "You're so hopeful, aren't you? People will donate for hybrids? For their education? They don't even donate for shelters, for a roof over their heads, for food to keep them from starving, and you expect them to donate for education?!"

I notice the rise in his voice, the way he kind of growled the last few words, and I shut my eyes, knowing what's coming.

"It's our fault," He starts. "We started this, and yet, we refuse to act upon it. They are humans, too, but people just can't get their heads out of their asㅡ"

"Language," I cut off, and Namjoon sighs.

He takes his glasses off, rubbing his face with his hands.

"Out of topic, but how are you doing with Sarang?"

He looks up at me, and I see his expression softening the slightest bit. He clears his throat and puts his black rimmed glasses back on.

"We're doing fine."

I smile. Sarang is Namjoon's girlfriend, and she, too, is a hybrid, one of the 'very few working hybrids'. They live together, and she works with us at the company. She's his head assistant and a cat hybrid.

"How's Taehyung?" Namjoon asks.

"Still distant," I gulp. "I removed the collar."

Namjoon gives a small smile, his dimples showing. "That's great. He didn't hurt you again?"

I shake my head.

"That's a relief. I think we're getting somewhere."

I nod. "I think he's opening up. Maybe very slowly, but I believe I'll get somewhere."

"I know, anyway," Namjoon shrugs. "I know code reds aren't dangerous, not at all. I know we did this to them. We just need to prove it to the world, this is the purpose of this research, right?"

"Yeah," I reply, and after a few seconds, he stands up, buttoning his blazer.

"I need to get going," He says. "Keep up the good work, Min Hanseol."

He looks over my shoulder, and gives a nod. I turn around to see Taehyung, standing in the hallway with a blank face and crossed arms.

"Evening, Taehyung," Namjoon says, and walks out.

I lock the door behind him, and turn back to the hybrid, whose arms are hanging loose beside him now.

"That's your boss, huh?" He says and I nod.

"Yeah, Kim Namjoon, founder and CEO of the Hybrids' Rights Corporation. He bailed us out from the police station, remember?"

He hums almost inaudibly, and walks to the living room, blobbing himself on the couch and crossing a leg over the other sassily.

I smile when I notice the red mark around his neck fading, and feel guilty again. He could take this collar around his neck for years, and I couldn't take his hands around mine for a few minutes?

"Want do you want for dinner?" I ask. "Let's order something."

"I want pizza," He says, his chin held up high.

I grin, and hold back a laughter, bringing out my phone.

"Pizza it is, then."