Ch11: Once And For All

It's night time when Seokjin leaves, and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

It was awkward, mostly Jin and I were the ones speaking, and Taehyung was silent the whole time, not even glancing at us.

I stand by the counter of the kitchen, having a full view of the living room where Taehyung is sitting, his arms crossed as he ponders in deep thought.

His eyebrows are furrowed and his lips are tugged down, his eyes unfocused, as if he isn't even here. His tail is laying lifelessly beside him, the soft fur not moving, and his ears twitch once every five minutes or so.

I let out a loud sigh, and Taehyung blinks, his ear twitching again. He slowly turns to look at me, and I stare back. We stay like that for God knows how long.

His eyes hold mine captive, and I stare blankly into his. Again, I'm not even sure if he actually is looking at me. Perhaps he's wandering and isn't even aware of my existence.

Even though he's not close, I could tell his pupil was constricting, and his tail finally moved, swiftly swaying to the other side and stopping, and I realize, no, he isn't thinking, he's staring me dead in the eye, probably planning my murder from the way he glares.

My eyes glance at the collar adorning his neck, then I look back at his eyes, still holding the same expression. The guilt of leaving that heavy metal thing around him strikes me again, and I start wondering, for the nth time, if I should remove it or not.

I shift my weight from one leg to the other, slowly, his eyes on me making me feel like I'm doing something wrong.

At this moment, I hate I don't know what's going on in his head, and I know asking won't get me anywhere. I wonder if I'll ever get to know what he's thinking.

"Taehyung," I say, and he shows no sign of response. He's still staring me dead in the eye, and the only thing that makes me sure he actually heard me is his ear flinching.

I stay leaning on the counter, and after a few seconds, I speak up.

"The collar... " I trail off, studying his expression when I mention it which doesn't change. "If I remove it, will you promise me you won't hurt anyone?"

It's silent for a while to the point I'm actually not sure he heard me or not, but then he drops his arms which where crossed over his chest the whole time, and he looks away.

"If you don't want to remove it, don't. You don't have to play nice," He says.

"I feel guilty," I say, taking in a breath. "Seeing you like this, it makes me feel guilty, you know. This... this isn't right."

He scoffs, and looks away, a bitter smile forming on his face.

"I'm trying, alright?" I say, and walk away.

I head to my bedroom and grab the remote, pressing the small button to bring out the small key.

I walk out to the living room, and Taehyung's in the same position. He scans me, then his eyes fall on the key in my hand.

"Once and for all," I start. "I'm dead serious this time, Taehyung. You hurt anyone, I'll put the collar back on and never remove it again, I mean it."

"Is that a threat?"

"You can hurt me," I go on, ignoring his question. "But not my friends, not anyone at all. Even if it's a stranger. You say you can't control yourself? That's a lie, but if it's true, then get it all out on me, and only me. You're my responsibility, anyway, and I don't want to get neither of us in any more trouble."